Why You get so sore every spring

EF

• Baller

Scot Jones,

Awesome article on soreness! You answered a lot of my curiousity about that.

Also, I'd love to hear more about how skiing affects our body, and recommended training for this great sport! /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

• Baller
Good article.  It is frustrating how sore I get after a ski.  I work out regularly but when I skied on Jan 31, my traps were so sore, you could drop me to my knees just by grabbing my shoulder.  Thank god it goes away eventually.

Skibug, I hope you are just kidding about lactic acid.  Just in case you are not, lactic acid does not contribute to muscle soreness in any way shape or form, and does not change the pH of muscle cells during or after muscle contraction.  The affect of lactic acid on muscle performance is minimal if at all, and it is immediately cleared following high intensity anaerobic exercise where it might have an opportunity to be synthesized at a rate greater than it is cleared.  During and immediately following exercise it enters the blood stream and is converted back to pyruvate in the liver where it can be utilized for oxidative phosphorylation via the Krebs cycle, or converted back to glucose via the process of gluconeogenesis.