Tip Stall

roberto

I need some help BOS colleagues.

Last year I was plagued with tip stall. (Offside only, I am RFF, so 1,3,5 ball is were it would happen)

In 07 ran a Sixam 67" 2 point and managed to run 12m. I was consistent and could late season more or less guarantee  in a set run into  to late 12's.  Couldnt wait for 08 thought I was getting somewhere!

Changed to the Sixam 67" SS for 08, on the basis that the SS was a faster ski, would get me out there sooner generate more space and so on. But, just kept stalling out, all season. The shorter the rope the worse it got. Could never predict it, never mastered why it was happening, I tried lots of numbers. Even Glen Campbells numbers....OBrien pilot!

The symptoms:- At the end of the turn the ski grabs a whole lot of angle, stops dead, breaks you and by that time you are in no shape to take the load from the boat.

Do I:-

Throw money at it and Buy a Goode wide ride or Reflex flow?

Move the bindings back/forward, the Fin forward/up/down/back.

Counter more, keep the inside shoulder higher/reach less forward? 

Or ask BOS Team for their thoughts and assistance! 

• Baller

Length of ski?

Type of bindings?

Binding locations?

Current fin measurements (including how measured)?

When I jump on a new ski, the first thing I do is set the fin to factory stock settings, mount the bindings to factory recommended location and ski. Then, I move the bindings back (or forward) until the ski is stable on both sides. Then make fine asjustments with the fin. The factory fin settings are usually an average of several test riders and will at least work for most riders.

If you think all that is in order, next would be video or getting someone with knowledge of what they're looking at watching to see if it's you or the ski.

It sounds like handle control. Letting go and throwing your handle out there will cause that. Hang on longer with 2 hands after your edge change. Release the handle in a recoil manner(tight and slow with resistance) dont just toss your handle out. Think about keeping speed the whole time you are approaching the ball. I used to repeat to my self over and over on the way to the ball, keep the speed, keep the speed. worked for me.

Roger

67" SS, Animal superfeet RFF + RTP, Set to  29.875".  fIN length 6.84" Measured with the tips, 0.779 DFT, 2.48" Fin depth.(106 CBR fin).....me...165lbs

MS

Guilty as charged, come off my goodside pull and probably lauch into the reach and chuck the handle. 

• Baller

Here we go, unfortunately you are going to get several different opinions, but I will give my two cents.  What you are describing, "tip stall" sounds more like breaking at the waist, in which there are several causes, mostly all form related.  Have you videotaped yourself to see if anything stands out in your form?  Breaking at the waist is a common probem on the off side as skiers cannot get their ski to react as well and wind up throwing the shoulders forward, reaching forward, etc at the last second to get weight on the front of the ski.  This works, but when the ski establishes sudden angle, the skier is not in the position to handle it. 

I would suggest leading the turn with your center mass, never comprimising your hips.  Focus on just that.

If you are convinced it is the ski set up and not your form, make small adjustments to your ski until the problem diminishes. 

If its not your form and you can't get the ski to work, try a new one, maybe with a demo program.

You're skiing well into -35', and your fin depth is 2.48"? Go deeper - a lot deeper.

Secondly, a lot of what Boody said is true, but how do you convert that truth into practical results? Try just one thing, and try the hell out of it. My suggestion is to see just how much counter you can generate into and through your 1,3,5 turns. The goal here is to counter SO much that you overdo it - that's the mindset anyway; in reality it's almost impossible to counter too much.

As you begin your edge-change into 1 crank your hips, chest, and shoulders outward toward shore as far as physically possible. Really exaggerate it - after all, what have you got to lose here? Now, as you're fully extended and the ski is coming around, continue to force everything above your thighs to twist around clockwise (from an overhead POV) until you ski right back into the handle. If you really commit to this experiment I believe you may very well have a major epiphany right on the spot. One warning, though: it will only work if you fully commit; anything short of that and you won't have given yourself a true chance to succeed.

Why this works is because it eliminates the mistake I suspect you're currently making - which is trying to negotiate the turn at a slower speed by jumping on the front of the ski. We know that carrying speed through the turn and into the next "pull" is a very desirable thing, but years of not doing that has you lunging out the front trying to stomp on the brakes. If you're extremely countered you won't be able to make that mistake - it's virtually impossible to have extreme counter and load up the front at the same time.

Try it. If you're not satisfied you'll receive an automatic refund of every cent you spent for this advice.

TW

All

I have watched some video (unfortunately not the best quality) and have come to the conclusion that their is a major problem with the ski. The person attached to it. 

Most noticeable is a very poor impersonation of counter rotation, shoulders facing straight down the Buoy line at the apex. Shoulders are moving over the hip at the buoy (Starting to break, compromising the hip), and from what I can make out I am probably back on the handle before the tip of the ski gets under the rope.  

All this and a money back guarantee! Appreciated. Alas ! I was hoping you would all tell me to ditch the ski and throw money at it! I really wanted an excuse to buy one of those Reflex flows or an X09 , they look cool. Anyone know how they go? Thanks for the wisdom, 09 is looking better already, 8 weeks to go and back on the water.

• Baller

Amen my Brother!!!!! The light is around the corner!!!!! /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-tongue-out.gif Free Ski in March, and Florida middle of April.

Also, speaking of Florida. I improved in 08 substantially, because of Chet, and a little of the A-1.

• Baller

Roberto,

Try the fin deeper, I also ski on a SS 67 .The factory setting from when the ski came out back in -07 seems to work really well.

I tried a lot of different settings during this season but always ended up with 6.830 (tips)   2.520   .800  (head).

2.480 sounds way too shallow for this ski /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-surprised.gif (just my opinion)

Thanks DanE

I will re-set the fin. But, I guess it's the skier that needs re-programming! I think coming off the back of a good season (07) I didnt analyse what I was doing well. Possibly the new ski  and delusions of competence didnt work for me in 08. The BOS team have provided me with some key pointers, so I am going to concentrate on Form, counter and handle control, set the ski back to stock. Things I should know at my level, but I am guilty of drifting off the straight and narrow! Appreciated.

• Administrators
I am not sure that your fin #s are that far off. I ran that ski at about 2.495". It is a really good ski. The one I had was a little extra stiff but I freak'n loved it. I think I sold it to someone in who reads BOS.....

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can