Private lake boat restrictions

ski6jones

• Baller

ski6jones,

I think i am moving to your community. If we can get the awsa restrictions lifted, maybe we can take my boat out for a spin?

http://www.duckwaterboats.com/wpimages/wp40e8e305_0f.jpg

• Baller

My development has the same restriction.  The reasons I put those rules in place are:

1.  The size of the lake requires that a boat have certain performance characteristics (acceleration, turning ability) that are critiqued by USAWS.

2.  Insurance - our provider is linked to USAWS so therefore boats used must be approved by USAWS

3.  This rule prevents someone from dropping a 28ft Sea Ray in the lake to pull their kids on a tube.

Also, I would recommend some language regarding "ballast" systems in boats - large wakes tear up shorelines.  Slalom and trick do enough damage without the addition of weight. 

In the end, you're living on a tournament lake - why have boats on the lake that were not designed to operate in that environment? 

• Baller

Any lake community would be proud to allow scokes schweeet ride ... obviously!

But seriously, I'm trying to get down to the real reasons for this fairly common restriction and make sure it isn't just because it makes the lake more exclusive.  Exclusivity could be construed as a bad thing.

Can anyone suggest reasons to preserve "ASWA tournament tow boats only" in addition to those suggested by jdarwin?

Can anyone elaborate with first hand experience about any of those reasons sited by jdarwin?

For example an I/O run about on a ski lake that wasn't maneuverable enough, what happened?

For example boats producing large wakes and subsequent erosion, what happened?

Thx.

• Baller

ski6jones:

The lake aside, are their covenants and restrictions regarding the construction of homes in your community?  Minimum square footages?  Material restrictions?   Limits on roof pitches?  Rules that prohibit the storage of inoperable vehicles in the yard?  Those types of restrictions create exclusivity.  Exclusivity insures property values remain static or increase.  I wouldn't construed that as "bad".  Just as with your home, you want the lake to remain viable for its designed use and not decrease in value.  I can't site an instance where an I/O was run on my lake because it is not allowed but there are nightmares around the country with regard to wakeboard boats eroding shorelines and creating a bathtub out of what was once a nice slalom site.  The repair costs to drain a lake, dredge the silt and re-do the shorelines can be many times what the original construction costs were.  I spoke to many lake owners who were dealing with this issue when building my lake.  That's the main reason for installing the rules and regulations I did.  If you don't agree or want a different environment for yourself, then put your capital at risk and build your own.  That's what I did.  And by doing so, I have the right to restrict any acitivity I deem necessary.

• Baller_

ski6jones,

Combine post 6 and 3 and you have the most compelling reason of all.  The person that risked the capital established a set of rules to protect the investment.  IMO, a totally logical and expected thing to do.  One particular reason, if damaged, he would most likely be the one investing the most time, sweat and capital to repair the lake.

• Baller

I appreciate the comments.

My situation is not a case of establishing rules but rather interpreting existing rules.  Take jdarwins advise if your building or buying in a private site, make sure the lake rules suit your tastes and are clear and concise.

I really wanted to get the opinions of others as to why this restriction is typically applied.  I was a little vague in my post because i didn't want to start the thread with what I already thought about it.

My opinion was largely similar to the views posted here, primarily to protect the lake asset from erosion by super sized wakes.  That and any insurance requirements were the only defendable reasons I could come up with.

I'm still interested in other points of view.

Thx.

• Baller_
Another item to consider, in Michigan the water is state owned, the ripraian owner only has land rights.  So, if you restrict boats or whatever, that is fine, but if someone can gain access to the water w/o crossing any private property, all bet's are off.  So, if you want to chopper the Queen Mary and drop her in, you are golden.  You just can't drop anchor because then you can be legally kicked off.

• Baller
If you were building a lake expecting fully balasted wakeboarders what can you do to protect the shoreline? Plant lots of water happy grass/plants? You obviously don't want bulkhead. More large rock? RAL's lake in Chili looked pretty good but would wakeboard wakes move the rock?

• Baller
Our lake has allowed wakeboarding from the beginning. We have debated the erosion of wakeboard boats endlessly. In the end we put rock around the lake used most by wakeboarders and have been fine since. Of course shore line maintenance is an ongoing project. We also added a restriction to 23' I belive. This was in concern for some of these massive inboards that have come out recently. Everyone seems happy now.

The problem with the AWSA approved boats is that the approval is only for the two years after the build (tournament use).  The approval is also for a certain prop on the boat with a fully stock motor.  A new prop and KW air filter, you are no longer approved. You can have the restriction of AWSA approved for the hull at any time during the life of the hull and eliminate that technicality.  That would mean, however, that the X-1, the former Pro Star 205, would then be legal.  Slippery slope.  On Lake Placid, we have a restriction of inboard boats or outboard boat equipped with tracking fins that can make the turn at the end of the lake at skiing speed.  Other boats are permitted only as service craft or tournament support.  I have an outboard aluminum hull for course service so I don't ding up the MC.

As for wakeboard boat damage, a properly designed bottom with a good particle size will do fine for erosion prevention.  Most slalom lakes are not designed to deal with any wave energy.  Even on a small lake, the most energetic wakeboard crew can only contribute 10% to the total wave energy on a shoreline.  Any marginal shoreline design will be destroyed by the additional 10% - you have to plan ahead.

www.placidwaters.com

• Baller
Another thought is that by limiting boat usage to awsa tournament approved boats, you've effectively limited boat draft to 24-28". This is a big consideration in a shallow lake. I've seen some lakes who's HOA rules specifically allowed current and former AWSA approved towboats, not just the current towboats.

• Baller_

MS,

If you can keep her from touching ground, your good.  Once you touch ground the owner has his say.  The ol' QM might just nick the edges!!!

On the AWSA approved boats the wording would have to ensure that as the years rolled on, the previously approved boats are grandfathered.  There are lots of examples of that particularly in property's and property designations which could be looked at for the boat application.

Just to throw a bit of gas on the fire:

How about a Sanger Barefoot?

Barefoot Warrior Comp?

Australian build Malibu?

Dyne or HydroDyne?

CC Mustang?

Early Stars and Stripes, before AWSA approvals?

How about a new, innovative boat with hybrid power?

Lots of people really like lots of rules.  The real question is what are you trying to accomplish? Many families want to have multiple sports behing the boat - skiing and wakeboarding are the kings of the industry right now.  What is next?  Do you want to lock in as it was pre-wakeboard?

• Baller

boarditup,

Just curious how you finished your shore lines (slope, material type, etc) and what your experiences have been with erosion so far?  From photos on your web site it looks like a modest slope and native dirt.

What types of boats have been using the lakes thus far?

Would you mind sharing (in public or private) the boat type restrictions at Placid Waters?

Thx.

The sand here is has a large amount of gravel in it - large particle sizes, so they tend to stay put better than clay, silt, or fine sand.  We have a 10:1 slope to a depth of 4' and then a 6:1 slope down to 12' deep.  Experiments showed that the natural sand wants to erode to 8:1 and build at 10:1 with wave action.  I have an X-2 wakeboard boat with ballast and typically 10 teen aged kids in it.  We have run over 200 hours on the lake last summer with no detectable erosion.  Other boats on the lake included 197 and 190's for tournament use.  An X-Star with an additional 3,000 lbs of ballast was also on the lake for a while.

There is a lot of information on shoreline erosion and engineering.  You simply need to make good use of it.

My restrictions were given above.

Karl

• Administrators

If a lake is a slalom or 3 event lake then boats with big wakes are a real problem. If it is a wakeboard & other event lake, then it is different.

When a hard core slalom lakes get one wakeboard boat, the shorelines go to crap and everyone is mad. If possible it should be one way or the other. I know this is often not practical but it would be best.

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I'm a member at Villa Lagos in Northern California.  The owner, Eric Pettinger, built two lakes side by side.  One is for slalom and the other is for wakeboarding.  The wakeboarding lake is much deeper to accomodate the draft of the ballasted WB boats.  I'm not a wakeboarder, but there are serious boarders in the club, and they like the private WB lake for the sliders and the glassy water. 

Eric did some work on the slalom lake last winter - he reshaped the shoreline and lake bottom a little.  It skis beautifully and there's no backwash.  He doesn't allow any ballast on the slalom side. 

You can see pictures and a virtual tour of the two lakes at his website:

http://www.ski-lake.com/