Ski design

thager

• Baller
Obviously I am bored! Wondering if there is anything in the rules concerning the number of fins allowed on a ski. Took a quick look and didn't see anything not allowing two fins. I am thinking that a true wide ride design (Wide Tail also) would benefit from dual adjustable fins near the outer edges of the ski angled 45 degrees outward. When I rode a wide EP Vector years ago the main problem was the tail sliding out when the fin lost effectiveness. Since one is supposed to ski on one edge or the other one would think this feasible. Also one would in theory think that a much shorter fin would be effective without the drag of the other which should be riding out of the H2O. Thoughts? Eric, did you try this yet?

• Baller
Interesting thought, certainly some issues to work out.  The transition from out of water to in water on the "other" fin might cause some interesting ski handling issues.  Setting up two fins would certainly be more fun that one, and would offer the opportunity for off side and on side fin settings.  Manufacturing and fin block manufacture would be a little more challenging.

• Baller

I have not tried double back fins. Surfers use single fins for quicker turning boards. Double fins are supposed to be more stable. But I design a ski to be as responsive as possible. Relatively minor changes in fin design and size make all the differences I can use.

I have tried placing the fin in the center of the ski under the binding. It didn't work.

However, on my list of experimental projects is to try is a couple of mini fins on the sides of the front of the ski. Lots of variables to explore there. I could waste a summer playing with that.

I did successfully put two small fins on the top of the ski near the back of the ski. This did give some good lift from the tail of the ski. Some desirable tip pressure was added and I fielded the ski with the fins. My current skis all now have tail lift devices built in. I think someone is selling a commercial version of my tail fins (or just cut up some aluminum angle) so you can get this subtle effect for your skis.

Eric

• Baller
I'm not saying it would work for a standard designed ski. Maybe something on the order of a short but very wide "jump ski like wide ride" with double tunnels or something with a deeply  split tail. Schnitz had a byline about thinking "outside the box" a few years ago along these lines. Oh well, it's awfully cold up here in southern CND.