The Adam Cord Interview

lkb

• Baller
I just read the interview. The elite ski is interesting of course and sounds great.  But after reading the part where he said they are working on all kinds of things like handles, vests,  I wished I had gotten Horton to ask him if there is any serious work being done on developing a safe, reliable, predictable binding system. Skis are advancing but it seems bindings are not. Any thoughts?

• Baller

Adam,

Do you have any information/thoughts on binding development that you can share? It seems that there is a lot of industry interest in refining skis but relatively little evolvement in binding design. Do you feel that the current binding offerings are as safe/well engineered as they could be? Or is there room for improvement with respect to the available market out there for waterski gear?

I am on my second different double hardshell system. It's hard for me to totally trust it and I wish there was something more reliable and effective than what I am currently on.

Anyway, I guess my main point is that there is so much more effort put into ski design than binding design.

Thanks

• Baller

lkb-

To (sort of) answer your questions on bindings:

I am definitely in agreement that the level of engineering that has gone into slalom bindings in the past has been sub par. It's easy to look at other industries and see that we are years (decades?) behind when it comes to binding design.

On the plus side, I can proudly say that we have taken steps to get the proper personnel to help with our new design, which we have been working on now for the past few months. I don't want to say too much, but it will definitely be different!

• Baller

That's definitley somehting to look forward to. I guess all we can do know is wait and wonder. Although I don't mind telling you I hope it's a duoble hardshell with predictable and repeatable release tensions and it prevents a one foot in one foot out crash and has a smooth outer shell to reduce water drag and is not too heavy.

Thanks

• Baller
GMC, I hear ya. But, if someone developed a waterski-specific system(read no outdated snowski parts, no old rollerblade parts and no velcro) that was truly effective and predictable I would pay...I have broken an ankle skiing and 2 of my partners have ruptured achilles so skimping in the injury prevention dept. would not be worth the risk