Ski Set up Question

Donski

I was asked this question the other day and i did not know the answer. Can one of you guys answer it for me.

Question: Binding measurments are given from the back heel rubber of the front binding to the tail of the ski. If this is the correct method than wouldnt it not also make a differance on what size the bindings are. Example, i see postings all the time with ski size, fin measurments followed by a binding # like 29 1/4" or 29 1/8". Shouldnt the binding type and size allso be stated, or is the distance from the center hole to the rear heal the same on both med. and large bindings per say?

Heres another why to look at it, if one could measure the location of weight placement on a given ski and length with a theoretical nutural skier stance. Would the center of the weigth placement / location be located inthe same place on the ski if the skier is say a size 8 foot/medium binding as to say a size 10 foot in a large binding?  

No, and I'll answer your question with a question.

What is the more portable measure?

a) My bindings are 29 1/8" from the tail of the ski.

b) My bindings are one hole forward of neutral.

Answer: A

Answer A will be the same from boot to boot and ski to ski. Measuring 29 1/8" will always put your heel 29 1/8" from the tail of the ski. If you answer by method B then boot, boot size, ski, and ski size will be factors in the boots location on the ski.

Ok i agree that say 29 1/8" will remain a constant no matter if one is one hole forward or in the center hole. So now my question is were is the sweet spot by design suppose to be located ? under the front foot heel, under front foot ball, some where in between or some were between the front foot and the back foot?

Is my thinking wrong. If you had two skiers on the same size ski and both were using stock settings, say 29 1/8". One skier had a size 8 foot / med. binding and the other had a size 10 foot and was using large bindings lets say. Unless the sweet spot is located under the front foots heel would not both skiers be placing there weigh in relation two the sweet spot in two differant location?

• Administrators
If it was not such a pain the ass to do so, we should use front foot ankle bone to measure. I am sure that from a size 5 to a size 13 the ankle bone is not in the same place at the same heel rubber measurement. I would assume that most skiers on a size of ski have similar size feet. Not a lot of guys with size 13 feet riding a 65” nor a lot of guys with a size 5 ridding a 68”.

NEVER trust binding holes. Center hole means nothing.  As an example, if you put a Wiley at the center hole on a Radar you will be off by nearly an inch.

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Okay I see where you're coming from now. And I am pretty sure that all things being equal, the person with the larger foot will in effect have his or her bindings farther forward than someone with a smaller foot. Now that I think about it, I do remember noticing that skiers with smaller feet tend to have the bindings farther forward than skiers with larger feet. So yes, I think your observation/concept is correct. However I don't think that it is significant enough to make some kind of rule of thumb like, "Size 8 and below start 1/4" in front of stock, size 11 and about start 1/4" back of stock." Stock numbers are not the holygrail, they are a point from which to begin.   

• Administrators
I very rarely recomend binding setting that are very far from bone stock.Sometimes one hole forward or back. Some skiers go forward a lot thinkinig that will fix things but this causes more issues then it fixes.

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

John i agree with your answer it was were i was tying to go when i started this thread. Though it would be a very impractical method for measuring front foot location.We should use somthing like the front ankle bone as the measuring point for placement.