Fall is Millfoil Harvesting Season

RichardDoane

• Baller

You still have that problem with the camera turning the sky grey and the ground green.

We need a mechanical rake/ harvester/ baler to really deal with the weeds. I wonder if dairies or horses would like the algae as feed. Maybe I could pay off the harvester. At least I could save a few bucks on the dye.

Eric

• Baller_

Google Diuron and you will find it for 45.00 per bag. We used 4 bags for our 2200 X 300 lake and have not had anything since we put it in in late April. I would say wait until water is 65 if you can.

I have heard about success on weeds but it is great for algea. We used copper sulfate up to 3 x per year and now I dont think we will have to use anything again.

Great thanks....Our grass carp quit eating at the end of last year. We had quite a mess this Spring with algae and milfoil. The copper sulfate worked on the algea but the milfoil is going crazy. We are in St. Louis and our lake is already above 80 so I think we'll give it a try. Sounds like a cheaper option then we were using (copper sufate and Aquacide).

• Baller_
If the Diuron doesnt take out the milfoil, about 3 gallons of Reward mixed with 35 gallons of water will take the milfiol out. The diuron will take out the algea and it wont be back. Reports on 5-6 bags of diuron in the lake will take out any shoreline weeds that come into contact with the water so watch it.

• Baller
Be extremely careful with Diuron. It will kill the trees on shore if the trees have roots near or in the lake. If you have been using Diuron and had some trees die later in the year or the next year, there is a good chance it was the Diuron. We have had great success with the grass carp with coontail and milfoil. We add additional fish every two or three years to keep total control of the weeds.

• Baller_
Any suggestions for Lilly Pads. For some reason they decided not to just be along the shoreline but have now started to grow in 7 to 14' of water. The leaves are small and the stems are spagetti size. Dont want to kill off anything else. In one square yard you will see 1 to 3 pads on the surface covering a total of approximately 10 acres.

• Baller_
we'd use Lee's 96 MC, idle slowly until the rake was full, then slowly drag it back to the shore where we'd pull it in, clean it off, and rake the stuff in to piles. once it dried out a little, it was a lot lighter to wheel barrow off the dump zone. It made a big improvement in most areas, but now that it's been a couple of years, the fish stay ahead and the lake is clean, no chemicals required