Hand position on handle

nomi

I realize that the "preferred" handle hand position is to have left hand on bottom of handle if LFF (and vice versa). However, how big an advantage is proper hand position? I'm 50 years old and regularly get into 35 off using the wrong hand position. I've vowed to switch my hand position this summer but I couldn't get comfortable. I don't particularly want to take a big step back for a minimal future gain. What do you think?

• Baller
It sounds like you have the right grip naturally without switching.  I am not sure if I am understanding your grip position; but, just to be clear for LFF your left hand should be palm down (overhand) on the handle if you hold the handle horizontal to the ground.  I am RFF so my natural grip (I am right handed so if I were holding a baseball bat) is opposite my ski grip.  I switched years ago; but, I still have to get up with the baseball grip and switch before the 55's.  The theory, and I pretty much believe it, is that the overhand grip, correlating to whichever is your front leg, gives you a stronger pull from your off side turn.  It only took about 3-4 times out to really get used to it and not have to think about it.  You should give it a try and see if you notice the difference; you can always go back if it really messes with you too long.   

Here's the best answer I can imagine to your question. Below is a composite photo of Scott Tynan (top) and Chet Raley. Scott wasthe no. 1 seed in today's Big Dawg finals and Chet was no. 2 seed, so it iswithout question that they are both at the very top of their games in terms of skiingability. I'd guess if you suggested to Tynan he could raise his score bychanging his grip he would laugh at you.

I think the idea of "right grip" versus "wrong grip" was much more relevant in the days when closing your body to the boat during your pull was promoted as best form. With the advent of such concepts as "open to the boat" and "load both arms equally" it's likely that coordinating your grip to your foot placement is less important than it used to be.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Rightgripvswronggrip.jpg

[It should be noted both photos are copied from Steve Schnitzer's website - legally - per theFair Use Doctrine of U.S. Copyright law. For the time being they may beviewed in their original form on Steve's site at:http://www.schnitzskis.com/pages/460743/index.htm . Steve changes hissite often, so I copied the photos here to support the ongoing existence ofthis thread.]

TW

• Administrators

I would guess that changing is more trouble then it is worth.  I would play with it for maybe 5 sets and if it still screws you up forget it. There is too much other stuff to learn.

Then heck is Chet skiing on? New Warp?

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Yep, KLP is on an early A1 with monza graphics. It has the bat tail tip on it though. Chet is on a warp. His usual Warp got trashed by the airlines coming back from Texas Big dawg. The Warps have the tips cut off , Chet told me its something to do with letting the carbon flow/expand. ??. Chet then tapes the tip back on to prevent it filling up with water.

Sorry, I was gone for a couple of days and couldn't respond. I appreciate your feedback on hand position. I think I'll go "cold turkey" (left palm down for LFF) for a week or two. If I don't get within a buoy or two of my typical performance, I'll succomb to adage that old dogs . . .  

• Baller

"Sorry, I was gone for a couple of days and couldn't respond. I appreciate your feedback on hand position. I think I'll go "cold turkey" (left palm down for LFF) for a week or two. If I don't get within a buoy or two of my typical performance, I'll succomb to adage that old dogs . . .   "

I don't think you will have that much trouble making the switch. Kris LaPoint skied "backward" for 25 years and then made the switch.