Trick Tests 2008

eleeski

• Baller

The results for the 2008 trick tests are published! View the summary and statistical analysis at http://www.waterskimag.com/article/Features/Trick-Ski-Tests-2008.

Thanks to the hardworking skiers who meticulously tried and evaluated the skis. Special thanks to Scott McNerney who arranged for the Mastercraft boat and the Quantum skis, Oliver Zeh whose timely response provided us the Goode skis, EdITS publishing for the statistical analysis and Stan Lee and Merry Finch who hosted the event.

Eric

I know this is primarily a slalom site but if Andy Mapple can cross over to win a world trick title maybe some of you might be interested.

• Baller
Eric - great job!  THAT'S how the slalom tests should be graded.  We can all understand numbers and which attribute best suits our particular style.  Hopefully, the tests this year will revert back to how we did them the first two years.  Folks seemed to get a lot out of the grading system.

• Baller

Thanks Joe. One interesting statistic that didn't show up in the writeup (I guess the colors were too hard to add) was the uncertainty of the test group. Some parameters had wild swings in the numbers between testers while others had close agreement.

The manufacturers couldn't complain too much because the numbers were ranked against the ski itself - not other skis. Every ski had every number between 1 and 6 assigned by the testers. Even if you hated the ski it was going to get a 6 on some characteristic and your favorite ski was going to get a 1 on something. It did make the testers think very analytically.

We did try some direct comparisons. We used dichotomous scales where both ends of the scales were desirable features (ie stability vs responsiveness) but the data wasn't too meaningful for the writeup. The testers complained that some of the scales were stilted (can't a ski be both stable and responsive?).

Overall, it was easy because all the skis were great. Several of the testers who were on old faithful skis bought new skis as a result of the tests.

Eric

• Baller

I was unable to contact Reflex for the test. The only Reflex we had access to was quite old. Actually the old Reflex belonged to one our testers - he ended up getting one of the new skis he tested! If you have a contact at Reflex, I'd be happy to try it casually.

Another ski we didn't test was the Curmi Trick Systems ski. He sent us one to play with (fun ski) and it will be in any future tests we might do.

Eric