Thinking of trying an older Goode.

slalomdude

Never skied on a Goode, but thinking about trying one of the older models. Can  anyone give me some insight into the 9500/9600/9700 models. I am 180-185Lbs skiing at 34 mph into 32 off. I see goode sells some of the older models on their outlet site, anyone have first hand experience. Thanks  

• Baller_

IMO a very high performance ski, has great acceleration across course.  Hard to beat for pure performance and buoy count.  9700 is a great performance ski, have not skied the 95 or 9600 version.

Difficult ski to mount bindings due to no inserts to allow easy installation of inserts for rubber boots.  Industrial velcro attachment technique is favored for this ski.  Quality level is not as good as several other brands currently on the market.

• Baller

I recently switched from a 9300 to a 9700 and wow what a difference between these 2 skis.  I have not tried the 9500 or 9600 but the 9700 is a ski that gets great angle and holds width very well.  I am a 32 to 35 off skier at 34 mph  and I am able to get wider on the 9700 at 32 off then I have been able to get with any other ski I have tried.

I know that it has been stated on this site and others that Goode has had some problems lately with breakage and with customer service but I have had no problems with there products or support.  Then again I am not riding a 9800 either.

Jeff

• Baller

I was on a Goode 9600 and then a 9700 until earlier this year. At that point I started trying some different skis. My honest opinion is that, for me at least, there are better skis out there right now. Getting out the 9600 and going back to it for a few weeks re-affirmed this.  They do have good acceleration and cast out wide. But they're finicky and twitchy. And you can really feel the chatter of the water.  Getting on the Sixam SS and the RS1, I equalled my pb on the first one or two sets and actually feel as if I'm earlier than on the Goode's. Plus, the sensation of feeling every ripple in the water is gone. Just my .02. Some feel differently and feel that the 9100 and 9500 are the best skis ever made.

• Baller_

I certainly concur on the twitchyness, particularly in rougher water.  The 9700 is not as good in rough water as the older 9100, but is a better ski in smoother water and the 9700 has improved my scores.

You might also check on ski-it-again.com as there are numerous used skis on that site.

• Baller
I found that the SS and the RS1 felt very similar. The SS seemed to have a bit snappier edge change. I'm 190 and ski at 34mph.  This year I skied on the 67 F1,  67.5 SS, the 67 RS1, and the 68 RS1. The 68 RS1 is the best ski I've been on, with the SS a close 2nd. I basically skied the exact same buoy count on all of them. But my consistency on the RS1 and SS is better. Especially when it's windy/choppy.  

• Baller

One thing to be aware of is that sometimes older Goodes can really break down.  I've heard stories of 9100's lasting a decade, but personally I only got 3 seasons out of mine before it snapped in half under normal usage.  My 9600 was absolutely AWESOME out of the box, but had all sorts of quality problems (peeling from the bottom), and then really softened up over a few years.

I personally would never buy a used Goode, but there are plenty of folks who have had terrific success on one.

Constructionwise, I think there's no doubt Fischers are better.  I've never heard of an issue with a used one.  But I only skied two sets on mine before I wrecked my back (NOT the ski's fault at all), so all I can say is "initial results were very encouraging."