Aidan Willers is still alive too.

Thomas Wayne

But he's probably not liking life very much right now. I just received this update from a customer in Aukland:

FYI, see below an extract from www.nztwsa.co.nz - a kiwi slalom skier had a
serious accident in the UK last week while training on the 11m line..

"Best Wishes to Aidan Willers
Aidan has had a horrendous water skiing accident at Princes Club on Friday
last.
He put his arm through the ski handle while training for the Princes Pro-Am.
He has sustained serious injuries to his right arm. He ruptured the artery
in his arm up under his armpit.

He has been to surgery 4 times in the last 3 days and at this stage he does
still have his arm. His parents were told yesterday that the artery graft is
looking good. They have had to remove a lot of muscle and he is going to be
looking at many months of treatment, therapy and reconstruction etc. At this
stage we have been told he is not out of the woods yet and it is imperative
that he does not get an infection.

Any NZTWSA members who would like to send their best wishes to Aidan can
email WILLERS@xtra.co.nz or text Aidan on his mobile phone number which is
0044 7846583841 but please remember the time difference - if its dark here
its ok to text.

Many people from the water ski world at Princes have been of great support
to him. Nicole, Aidan's fiancé is back in London after the Europeans and is
currently with him.

We all wish Aidan a speedy & full recovery."

All I can add to that is:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/ARM-GUARDBanner.jpg

No website yet.  Hope to get on that part after October.

This is actually the busiest time of year for me (unrelated to waterskiing) and I have to take time away from my business schedule for matters pertaining to the ARM-GUARD project.  If it weren't a matter of skier safety I would simply dial it back until next spring, but I feel a bit of a responsibility to any skiers who are looking to make their handles safer.

If you need more info about the ARM-GUARD email me at twcues@gci.net

TW 

• Baller

I get the sneeking suspicion that this could be a sensitive area???  Not meant to stir anything up, just wondering, much like the difference between boats or skis??  Maybe I will make eveyone happy and buy one of each??

• Administrators

All right you guys. As everyone knows I make a real point of stomping out trash talk here at BallOfSpray. This is a forum about skiing and ski equipment. I will ban anyone who goes in the other direction.

So TW,

Speaking specifically of the products, what are the technical differences?

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

According to their website, the FM imitation of our invention is sold as a "Decorative handle insert" and is specifically not intended as a safety device. Additionally, there are only three sizes offered - two different stock shapes and a third, "generic" one that the end user must cut to fit his own handle section. Also, the pricing on FM's site does not include shipping from Canada - and that can be very expensive and time consuming (depending on your location).

Our ARM-GUARD â„¢, which predates the FM imitation (released many weeks after we introduced the ARM-GUARD â„¢ to the waterskiing community), was invented by us and is patent-pending. It was designed to be a safety device and is specifically meant to increase the safety of any waterski handle it is fitted to. We solidly promote and stand behind the ARM-GUARD â„¢ as a safety device. Unlike FM, we have years of design and field testing with our product, and we know it makes the handle safer.

Each ARM-GUARD â„¢ safety panel is custom machined to fit your specific handle section. To date we have designed and machined dozens of different safety panels, and each one fits the particular handle it was designed for. This is because handle manufactures seem to have a great deal of variation in their handle configurations - even among handles of the same brand and model! Recently a customer lost his handle section and asked us to send him a new ARM-GUARD â„¢ set to fit a handle he had on order. Because he had ordered the "identical" handle (Masterline Mapple Custom) that he'd had before he assumed the same ARM-GUARD â„¢ safety panel would fit perfectly. We asked him to wait until he received his new handle so he could measure it (just to be sure) and - not at all surprisingly - the measurements were different enough to require a panel of different dimensions.

The handle opening is a triangle, and anyone familiar with simple geometry will realize that a 1/4" difference in height or base (width) makes a tremendous difference in the shape of panel that will fit that triangle. FM's 'one-size-fits-all' concept makes their imitation virtually useless for the vast majority of handles sections that are out there. Unless the fit is absolutely correct the end user will have a handle that is either difficult to use (hand opening too small) or just plain unsafe (handle opening too large). No wonder FM disclaims their imitation as a "decorative insert".

As for shipping, that is included in the ARM-GUARD â„¢ price, and we strive for 100% customer satisfaction. To resolve handle fit issues we have re-machined and sent new panels out to some customers as many as three times (!), always at our expense. Note that this has only happened a few times, and mostly it was because of a customer measuring error - nevertheless, our goal is a perfect fit for the safest results. With the exceptions of Carbon Finsâ„¢ (now defunct) and Eddie Roberts (Radar Skisâ„¢) I doubt you're going to find comparable customer service in this industry with any other company.

Thomas Wayne

We have several customers in the UK, one of whom reports that he hit the safety panel with his hand twice and thereafter removed it from his handle. All others that have reported back are not experiencing that conflict and seem to be happy with their choice. The nearly universal response seems to be that the skier almost immediately becomes unaware of the ARM-GUARDâ„¢ being in place.

I feel a great deal of sympathy for Aidan Willers, as his accident seems disturbingly similar to mine - though our injuries differ. He will, however, be likely to face the same challenges I faced on the long road toward recovery. I have shared my thoughts, condolences and emotional support with Aidan in a recent email. Financially speaking, however, he will have to be on his own. Our contribution to Tyler Yager's college fund is a unique action to which we committed in response to a public outreach by Gordon Rathbun. If you are an ARM-GUARDâ„¢ customer then you have already contributed to that worthy cause, and - if not - we would encourage you to contribute directly anyway.

We all choose to participate in a sport that carries with it certain dangers. Many of those dangers we can do nothing to prevent and must simply live with the risk, but handle entanglement is not one of them. There is something simple and inexpensive that you can do to greatly reduce that particular risk, and - now that you are informed - if you should choose to ignore that risk you do so at your own peril.

Thomas Wayne

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Neveragain2.jpg

• Baller

Off of the FM Website 

FM Decorative Handle Insert/Guard

The original FM handle guard was cool back then, and is even cooler now. The FM handle insert is available in a convenient adjustable version (or we can cut to size at n/c) made from a tough, quality polymer available in a lux-soft or pro-comp stiffer flex.  

You may also order at additional cost the "Bling" version which is a custom composite material, vibrant color over a poly-gem clear coat.  Colors available are Hyper Black, Ferrari(HO) Red, Envy Green, Cobalt Blue, or Fly Yellow.

Measure your handle vee from the inside of the handle edge to the joining of the ropes to ensure the correct size is selected. The insert is adjustable for length, positioning and to some extent width.

The U-Trim/we-Trim version fits handles vees approx 8" to 12". The Bling verison comes in an "8" (~8"-9" Vee) and  10 (9.5 to 11" Vee) sizes.

The FM handle insert is not intended as safety device, although it will obviously reduce the size of the handle opening. There is not enough information available at this time to determine whether such a device will reduce the chance of skier injury, or cause a greater risk of injury. Nor is a device such as this recommended by USA Waterski, the IWSF or WSWB Canada at this time. 

• Baller

I'll back up TW's customer service quality claims.  After a slight delay in shipping my ARM GUARD, TW sent it to me express mail with no additional charge.  I have skied with it on my handle since, and don't even notice it is there.

I'll also back up it's importance.  Brett was in the boat coaching me in Acapulco in '96 the first time I ever ran the course, (15 off at some incredibly slow speed).  If he had the ARM GUARD this winter, he would still be skiing and coaching.  I encourage everyone to get one.  And throw in some extra $$ for Tyler's educational fund.

No Brainer!

I personally love the claim: "The original FM handle guard was cool back then...".

In mid-2004, long after we created and documented our first design (which was remarkably similar to our current version), FM posted a photo of a proposed handle safety device on the old Nicholls forum. At the time, FM mentioned that it was their first attempt at such a device. Rumor has it the plastic was cut out of an old milk jug. Below is the photo of that early attempt, which FM now apparently feels was "cool":

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/OriginalFMVSHield.jpg

Regarding the center member, here is the answer(s) to that question, taken from the FAQ in the current ARM-GUARDâ„¢ manual:

Do I really need the center attachment member?
Without the Nitrile center attachment you run the risk of striking the safety panel with
your hand in such a way as to flex or bow it, forming a sort of "chute" that could
conceivably guide your hand into a now-much-larger opening. This is somewhat
theoretical, and would require an unusual direction of force to occur, but is not a
completely impossible occurrence.

Won't the center attachment member interfere with grabbing the handle?

It is possible to accidentally grab the center member with a finger or two during the
normal course of skiing. While this can be distracting the first few times, it is usually a
rare occurrence and most skier learn to ignore it on the few occasions that it does
happen. Most importantly, the safety benefits far outweigh this small and rare
distraction.

But what if I catch a finger or two on the center member “often�
This actually was happening to me (TW) on a regular occasion, and it was always my
small finger (and sometimes my ring finger also) of my right hand. I resolved this by
first sliding the center member zip-tie to a position that is about ¾ inch off center -
away from the fingers that might catch it before I ski. I always slide it back to the
middle when I am finished with my round.

Each ARM-GUARDâ„¢ safety panel is custom machined for your specific handle. If your handle has a radius the safety panel has a matching (offset) radius, allowing for a consistent opening across the width of the handle. We have yet to run into a handle we can't machine a perfect fit for.

Thomas Wayne

• Baller

I hit the center member a few times when I first put the Arm-Guard on.  Truthfully, it kind of freaked me out that it was there for a couple sets.  It was a mental block - not because of the guard.  By my third or fourth set, I forgot it was on there.    I, too, would not ski without one now. 

There is one thing - I've used 12" handles for a long time.  Next handle I get will be a 13" (with an Arm-Guard, of course).  That will give a little more room on either side of the center member.

• Baller

I put my arm through the triangle on June 19th, and got lucky and ended up with only severely traumatized soft tissue.   I did get a fast trip to the emergency room due to swelling and was prepped for surgery due to compartment syndrome threatening to kill off my nerves.  Luckily, the swelling went down before they had to make the call to fillet my arm to relieve the pressure.  After a lot of rest and physical therapy, I started skiing again the second week of August, WITH AN ARM GUARD.  I agree with kpickett and the mental block.  After a couple of weeks of skiing, I've forgotten it is there for the most part.  I have wrapped my index finger around the center member three or four times.  The first couple of times it proved a distraction, but you learn to just keep skiing and in two balls, you release that hand and regrip anyway.  I've also found, and its helped my skiing during my comeback, that if I slow down the grab to the handle out of the turn, and ski to the handle as I'm coached to do, I don't hit the center member.  I'll also throw in that TW's service was great. 

• Baller

As soon as I heard about Brett Yeager's accident, I covered my kid's handle with a home-made handle cover and ordered Arm-Guards for their and my handle. My kids never had a ride after the Yeager incident without a handle cover. I on the other hand, delayed in covering my handle and as karma (or irony) would have it, put my hand through the handle and dislocated my elbow on May 10. Was sure I was going to need surgery, but after two ortho docs said no and 6 weeks of rehab, I began skiing again at the end of June with an Arm-Guard. Won't ski without one now. Have brushed the edge of the panel a couple of times with finger tips, but generally don't realize that it's there. I mounted the Arm-Guard on my kid's handle way too close to the handle (about 1.25 to 1.5 inches from the handle) and they have never hit it. I keep expecting dock starters at tournaments to complain about it being difficult to put on the rope, but no one ever has, I think everyone gets it. I have heard the idiotic question of "what if your hand goes through and gets stuck in the gap?" To that I can only say if you knew the force that pulls the handle off of your arm, you'd know that the panel isn't going to hinder that in the slightest.

Jim

Jim,

Don't feel alone in your karma/irony experience.

After Scott Worthington (PA State Trooper) died as a result of a head-through-handle accident in 2005 I went to the trouble of re-fabricating the safety panel design that we had been working on for the past two years. Everyone who saw it - including me - was a little dubious about the need for such a "contraption". The following July, while a perfectly viable ARM-GUARD prototype was languishing in my machine shop, I put my left arm through the handle and spent the next year+ recovering before I could ski again. I'm still nowhere near 100%, and will be likely dealing with the fallout of that incident for the rest of my life.

TW

Hey Jim,

Did it look something like this?

normal_080831_131356.jpg

I was walking down to the dock on Saturday and thought I was fielding a serious question about the arm-guard, and it turned into a, "look what I made with a $2 roll of duct tape!" Looks quite similar to Rabeneau design.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Rabeneau1.jpg

displayimage.php?album=97&pos=0#nav_pic

All I can say is I would love to see someone ski with that.

As part of a larger annual festival there is a popular Alaskan event called the "Duct Tape Ball", wherein the attendees dress in outfits that made partially (or entirely) using duct tape.  This ski handle would fit right in.

TW

(PS: As I understand it, the Rabineau device is made out of sturdy fabric and has been used (off and on) by a number of well-known skiers, including Marcus Brown and Gordon Rathbun.  We consider the ARM-GUARD™ to be a superior design, but anything is better than nothing at all.)

After skiing with the Arm-Guard just twice, I've forgotten it's even there. First set was mentally aware, second set was back to normal.

Now, I ski with it every time I ski and it has never been in the way. I use a US Gear bent handle and it fits great. Just sent TW an order for one to fit my daughters handle.

Skiing is a dangerous sport (as I sit here with an ice pack on my foot) If you ski with out Arm-Guard, you are taking un-necessary risks.

IMHO

• Baller
The duct tape cracks me up! Nah, mine didn't look like that. I took one of those plastic dog head cones and just cut out a triangle, punched some holes in it and zip-tied it to the handle. Worked fine, but just liked the Arm-Guard custom fit and Lexan material better. My ski partner made a cover like Rabineau's and it works fine, too.  

Thomas,

He did ski with it, and was not bothered enough to remove it. Allthought if you've ever had the pleasure of meeting Mike Bray you'd know that the man could hid a goose and still run -35. I'll let you know if it's still on the handle this weekend.