back belt?

Than_Bogan

• Baller

Has anyone found a water-proof back-support belt you like for slalom skiing?

In the past I've worn a generic back belt under my drysuit, and then in warmer weather a full CGA life vest with low straps.  The drysuit get-up actually provides better support, and now that I've messed up my back nicely, I'm thinking about how to get that during the few warm months we get in Massachusetts.

Perhaps I'd get both better support and better freedom of movement if I combined a thin competition vest with a water-proof back support belt?

Suggestions?

• Baller

Than, I tried this. I went to home depot, safety section in hardware and got a polyester support belt for 12.99. I wore it every pass last summer, every tournament, this year I went with better conditioning and no belt, my back hurts right now but is improving, good luck.

-Al

• Baller

alex, why did you choose not to use it this year?

I'm thinking of it as a supplement to everything else.  My spine is genetically "interesting," so my heavy core workout is what enables me to ski AT ALL.  But I could always use more support.

• Baller

I used to use one I got from somewhere like Sams Club or such.  Looks like the ones the guys at Home Depot wear.  Covers from my upper glutes to upper rib cage, shoulder straps, double overlap velcro straps, whole nine yards.  I can cinch that sucker down tight.  Like you I finally got onto a heavy core program  and haven't needed the back belt since (I still have it though, just in case).  I just hang it up to dry along with the vest, Clincher gloves, knee brace...

Ed