Miscellaneous ramblings about skis: part 2

Horton

• Administrators

I am not really sure if this means anything to anyone’s skiing or ski choice but it is kind of interesting to me.

ONLY IN TERMS OF OUTBOUND MOTION ON MY ONE HANDED GATE:

I have noticed a distinct difference in my ability to sweep the ski under me and out depending on the ski I am on. On my beloved Black Radar MPD, I cannot for the life of me sweep the ski under my body on the way out. On the RS-1, which comes from the same mold but has different flex and rocker my sweeping motions is as good as it could be.  

It is hard to compare all the other skis I have ridden in the last year since my gate has also changed. I think the Prophecy and O’Brien SS may sweep as easy as the RS-1. I am not sure how to rank the A1 in this discussion because I have really improved my technique since I have been on it so the comparison is apples and oranges.  

The point is that there are things you may try to do or thing you need to do that just do not work on some skis.....maybe.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I noticed a big difference when i started using a 88+redim (im a featherweight) on my monza. As you say john the redim is to help off the second wake into the edge change and keeping outbound momentum etc. 

I felt like i was able to let the ski out much easier and more consistently with better speed and therefore made my gate better and more consistent with this fin. (One hand, pull out with 55s just past the platform). Made my pullout feel much more agile and fluent to let the ski out from under me.

How much of the difference is due to setup? wing angle perhaps?

• Baller

Am I understanding this correctly, the MPD doesn't carry out like the RS-1?  So the MPD doesn't get as wide as the RS-1?  I'm interested in seeing if the MPD has more rocker from the bindings to the tail.   If so, would this greater rocker cause the ski to turn quicker after you edge change through your pre-turn?  

Now the next question, how much does the rocker vary from ski to ski coming out of the same mold?   The manufacturers give you the flex numbers for you ski, wouldn't it be nice if they'd also tell you how far off nominal the rocker is? 

• Administrators
No no no. What I said that was with my one handed gate I can clearly feel a difference at the edge change. I am not suggesting any thing else. DO NOT jump to conclusions. 

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

I think the MPD may carry out or get wide as well or better then any other ski. It is only in terms of MY one handed gate that I notice the difference . I really worked to change my gate this spring and could not do it till I changed skis.

Just food for thouhgt.

Drop a dime in the can