A1 Review

Horton

• Administrators

After a dozen or so rides on the A1, I am sure that this ski will be a top seller and will be loved by legions of skiers. The A1 is a clear departure from the Monza. A quick measure with the ruler shows the 67.25 A1 to be about 1/3 inch wider at the fin block then the Monza or any other high end ski on the market

On the water, the A1 is unquestionably calm and smooth. In the preturn, the A1 feels like there is a lot of ski in front of the front binding or perhaps like the ski is bigger then it really is. Assuming that there is enough weight on the front of the ski, this feeling of bigness quickly goes away at the apex of the turn. In other words, the A1 feels noticeably stable in the preturn and then it carves a tight arc from the apex to the finish.

In the past, when I have written about skis being stable, I have primarily been referring to a skis relative resistance to rolling side to side. With the A1, the outstanding feature is not roll stability but the skis consistently flat attitude on the water. I suspect that this is the result of the wider tail.

Off side (toe side) turns are steady and if you make mistake on this side, the A1 offers a surprising amount of forgiveness from ball to the second wake. The tip of the ski stays down through the finish and across the wakes. For skiers who struggle with the finish of toe side turns and wake crossings, the A1 has a lot to offer.

On both sides, the wake crossings are fast and as if on a rail. The skis tip down attitude makes it easy to stand in the middle just ride across.

Where many other high-end skis allow skiers to have different radius on either side of the course, the A1 is much more symmetrical. On side (heel side) turns are surprisingly equal to off side turns.

Skiers with good handle control skills will find more than ample width and long arcing preturns. Skiers, who struggle with handle control or who tend to drop their inside shoulder at the edge change, may feel narrow and fast at the ball.

Skiers who like to move forward on the ski as they approach the ball will experience exceptional turns. Skiers who stay still off the second wake and do not load their front foot will not get all the angle or tight turns that this ski is capable of.

On the water, the A1 does not strike me as positive or negative in terms of speed. My width is more then ample and that is all I care about. After a ride on the A1, I do feel that I may have physically worked harder then I might on some another skis.  Personally, I have not always skied well on some of the really fast feeling skis so the need for speed is clearly a matter of preference.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

Couple of foot notes:

This review is mine and mine only. This is not part of the Independent Ski Test or anything else.

The 67.25 A1 seems like a 68 inch ski of other brands. If I were on the borderline between sizes I would opt down.

I am really trying to not endorse any ski, what I am trying to do is tell you how the ski feels. There is no best ski for everyone.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Yes, ditto on the review-just what ive found (ESPECIALLY liked your (JH) review of the F1-perfect when youre perfect, but anything less and its blamo-just thought is was me and was ready to take up bowling) Switched to the A1 and equalled my PB that i set on my monza 2 yrs ago in the 2nd set! MS-you are on the 66.25-can you share your weight? (I'm 172 / 34mph and thinking of switching to the 66, but i REALLY like the 67.5!

• Baller

I agree with Horton's review.  I have been watching this ski for several weeks now and have always thought there was something to it.  While I love my RCX,  I just had to try the A-1.  After missing my 35 on two consecutive rounds at a tournament this weekend, I told Greg Badal to hook me up with an A-1.  On the third and last round of the tournament,  I tried the A-1 and stroked 35, with only one practice set under my belt.  The ski felt great, I don't have as many sets as Horton, but I am already a believer.  I hope this is what gets me thru 38.    

I am up in the air as to what ski to ride. I love the RS1 for the carry out and true track that it gives. I am more consistant on the A1 at short line, but I have better scores on the RS1 to date. The A1 is giving me a great 1 ball and that may be what hooks me in the end. I am skiing the A1 at Darwins this weekend, but will have the trusty back up there just in case.

The Sauce is nothing like the Monza. I could not buy a quality 1 ball with my Monza at 38. It was hit or miss and if I hit it, I could always run it. With the Sauce, I dont have to think when I am at 1 ball I just have to ski and it comes right out of the ball with no slack.   

• Baller
Skied the A-1 66.25 for the first time last night.  6.7245  2.506  .7655.   It felt great for the most part; I skied into normal line lengths the first time on it. In order for me to get the ski to turn I had to drive the tip of the ski into the turn (by an exaggerated reach and heavy front foot pressure - on both sides).  I’d like for it to finish harder (tighter), I’m thinking about moving the fin forward or forward binding movement??  Any suggestions? I’ve been Skiing on a 9500 for 6 years and like the aggressive turns it has.  I’d like for the A-1 to come close. Thanks 

Ride it a few more times before you start messing with it. Just concentrate on counter rotation and the ski will come around nice every time.

The more sets you put in on it, the more it feels like you can push it to perform tighter turns. My first few sets felt like it would set its path and that would be all you could get out of it. By the 5th set, I could make it do anything.

I'm on a 66.25 A-1 and was told the front boot position stock is 29.625" which didn't turn well for me as MSJ stated above. Moved to 29.75" and Wow what a difference! Ski is awesome.  RS-1 boots 29.75" front, 17.5" rear. Bone stock fin and wing. 6.850 tips, 2.508 deep, 0.77 dft 9 degree wing.

67.5" goes back Friday, 9/5/08 unless someone wants it $900 + free shipping.

email me crdickey at hotmail dot com

• Baller
I tried out a 68'' A-1, after being on a 2000 O'Brien Mapple for 8 years. I could not get used to it. It was by far the fastest ski I had ever ridden. My first couple of passes in the course at 34 MPH(I am 39 years old) it slipped out from under me like a banana peel around ball 1. I was able to get into 28 off by my sixth ride, but never felt fully comfortable on it. I don't always get good conditions to ski in. On a couple of passes in semi rough water it was very hard to correct after getting out of position. On one occasion I almost hyperextended my knee. The Animal Bindings worked well for control, but my feet hurt after three passes. I found the ski very difficult to control. I ended up on a D3 Nomad RCX. It is not as fast as the A-1, but worked better for me in rough water, and the bindings were more comfortable. Stay off the ski(A1) if you have less than perfect conditions, if you make any mistakes in the course it will bite you. The D3 Nomad RCX blew me away. I get into 32 off every time, in calm or rough water. It only took two open water rides, and 1 ride in the course to get used to it. Getting through 28 off is almost effortless on it. I am now working on fin adjustments to correct some minor problems at 32 off.

• Baller

I skied a quick set on an A-1 today. It was nice. My first impressions were that it was really easy to get wide and it felt stable.

I tried the 66.25". Is anybody here skiing on the 65.5"? If so how much do you weigh and what speed?

MS sort of lost me too. But given that I just got returned to the North from the South - I sorta see where he's coming from.

Back to the sauce. What does the A1 ski most like? Is it something that would be an easy jump from a D3 or Obrien? Or easier for someone who skis on a Goode?

Ski's are generally tough to demo here is why I ask.

Thanks

Granted technique is key but that being said I skied about the same ball count on a 9800 as I did on my SIXAM, but I like the SIXAM a whole lot better. I found it to be less effort and more consistent. Other people may have the opposite experience. Basically what I'm looking for is is the ski well suited for someone who likes the way a SIXAM skis as compared to a 9800. I do not want to repeat my 9800 experience.

• Baller
H2Osmosis will let you demo any ski they carry, and they carry the A1.   That's your best bet.  If you do not like it, they'll let you try another one, etc, until you find the one you like.

The H2Osmosis situation is great but I live in Canada and you have to pay non refundable duty and taxes when each ski comes across the border, which is still better than getting stuck with a ski you don't like.

I guess I'll try Brent's SS first.

• Baller

SM

I have skied a Sixam 1.0 since 2004. Went to a Radar RS-1 out of frustration with ZO. Was a very easy transition. The RS-1 just seems much faster and doesn't bleed speed like the 1.0. Jumping back and forth on these two hasn't been a problem for me. Am currently back on the Sixam as I keep it in WPB for the winter so I don't have to haul a ski back and forth from southern CND (Minnesota),    

Thager,

I've also skied a Sixam 1.0 since 2004 and agree that it bleeds speed. Mine is well used and is pretty dead now and that's why I'm looking to change. I tried the original first generation MPD and didn't like it, but from what I'm hearing the RS-1 is a different animal and probably worth a demo as well. I was in WPB last week and Whitney had a couple out to try but I'm more inclined to demo skis in home water.

As far as tax goes, Provincial rate is nominally 7.5%, federal 5% GST is also applied on top, tax is taxable here. so basically 13%. Duty is a moving target. From what I understand, there should be no duty on waterskis but it depends on how the customs person classifies the piece of equipment and what its country of origin is. I order stuff from Skidim and the customs charges are never consistent.

An $800 ski is likely to cost close to $1000

My best bet is to have something shipped to Mialboxes etc. in Plattsburgh and sneak it across the border.