Training techniques

cbuski

• Baller

Since I really don't get to run a course that often I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good drills that I could be working on when i'm not running a course.  Also, how will I know when i'm ready to take off more line length or bump up the speed? Which of these should come first as I develop as a skier?  Should I be working on running shorter lines first or being able to ski at faster speeds? Thanks for helping out a new skier!

Colin

• Baller

You have to get up to your prescribed speed before going shorter with the length.

I think that there is a tendency when free skiing to be impatience.  Think about being patience and letting the ski complete its turn, generate angle, and then take the load from the boat.  This will get you "pulling" in the right spot.  All the other technique aspects should be the same.  Concentrate on making your edge change at the right time, off the top of the wake, and letting the ski cast out into the preturn.  This is the point where the patience comes into play. 

• Baller
I don't necessarily agree with the issue of speed. I think it's ok to shorten the rope at slower speeds, as you learn a lot from that.  I find it easier to learn new line lengths by slowing the boat down 2mph and then incrementally bumping up the speed a little bit at a time until I'm running the new line length at the max speed. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• Baller
I agree with 2gofaster with the speed thing; but, only after you have gotten to the speed that you will be skiing at normally with skiing your opening line length.  Meaning, if your goal is to ski 34 mph; then, you need to get to the point where you can make your opening pass line length.  If you are trying to establish your 15' off pass at 34 mph as your opening pass and you can only ski it at 32 mph; you should concentrate on making it at 34 mph.  You shouldn't (IMO) slow to 30 mph to shorten the rope length.  Once you can knock out your opening pass; then you can slow the speed down a little to work on a shorter length (IMO).

• Administrators

If you have coaching or a real understanding of how you want to ski, I think free skiing is a great idea. A lot of skiers chase balls instead of trying to ski correctly. I think if you have the discipline I think free skiing is awesome.

As far as speed vs boat speed. I think that shortening the rope before 34 mph is also a great idea. 22off or 28off are way better line lengths then 15off. As the rope gets shorter it is way easier to generate angle and get shot out wide of the boat.  

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I agree that shortening it can help at the longer lenghts.  Even if you slow the boat down.  I started making my 22's more consistently when I started working on my 28's.  Since I can't seem to get around 1 ball without the rope laying in the water at 32, I can't tell if it will help my 28's.  Then again, working on my 32 gates has helped my 22 and 28 gates.