tough 2,4,6

cbuski

• Baller

When i'm skiing the course recently I have been super wide for 1,3,5 and after my wake cross and edge change I feel like I am getting pulled over and barely making it around 2,4,6. I'm a LFF skier and I know this is my off side but why is the pull feel so much stronger on this side as compared to the right side? Thanks for the help.

Colin 

• Baller

It sounds like you're using good form on your pull into 1,3,5 (maybe because you trust your ability to crank a turn there) and are just relying on the power of your good pull for 2,4,6. Make your good pull smooth and progressive also. 

I would guess that you are also looking (and skiing) straight at 2,4,6. I try to aim for an imaginary buoy narrower but earlier than the real thing. Then when I get to the imaginary buoy, I can crank a turn and be just about right for the real buoy.

Also a balanced pull is critical. Don't overpull your good pull. And ski narrower. Heresy! But most people can overpull on either side. You must control that speed yourself and set the ski's path where you want it - not just riding it out as far as possible. Also the geometry of the hookup is tough when the turn starts from too wide - you can lose angle by skiing too wide.

Of course take all advice from me with a grain of salt (or Steel Reserve). My coaching is really good if you want to learn flips or helicopters...

Eric

• Baller
Several of the people I ski with lose angle after the 2nd wake by letting their hands/shoulders come up in the pre-turn.  Think about keeping the handle down and on your hip, and your shoulders back, all the way through the edge change, and only begin the reach as the boat takes the rope away.  This should help keep you going outbound as opposed to downcourse.

• Members
If you are not open to the boat coming off your 1-3-5 (leading with front shoulder, loading the rope) when you come off the second wake you will get pulled up and flat causing u to ski straight to the 2-4. I was recently reminded that just because you have an on-side turn doesn't mean you can ignore it and hope that it works for you.........thanks Marcus..../vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif