Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Who Are you guys (Compete or not) Part 2

Horton

• Baller

I started skiing tounaments last year, but this spring started building a house on our lake in my "spare time", so I haven't been to any this year.  I am doing all the work with no help, and all the framing has taken its toll on my elbow.  Between the pain and exhaustion (no days off since February), my skiing is taking a back seat this year, but next year I'll be back in the game.

Still, I got a practice PB on Friday!

JH - you need to add fitness/health to the list...   it's certainly big fun (addicting) which makes it easy to stay with it. Tournaments depend on how my skiing progresses... I would like to if I get skiing well enough for it not to be too frustrating.

Basketball, hockey, and tennis have the good fun/fitness combination - but my body doesn't do those any more w/o major complaint. I'm hoping skiing gets me back in tune where I can run some b-ball again.

• Baller
I have not entered a tournament since 1996. It costs me too much ski time to travel and wait to ski at a tournament, and it does not fit into my budget since I drive 76 miles each way just to practice. I slalom, trick, kneeboard and barefoot. I would have to quit 2 or 3 of them to be competitive in one. Tournaments are just not in my budget. Besides in tournaments these days, 32 off will get you laughed at from what I am told..

Instead if sitting and waiting, get yourself involved in Judging, scoring, driving or helping out with dock starts. If you are being laughed at for running 32, you have not been to a tourney in a long time. At our tourneys in Minn, not many people run 32. The only thing I see is cheering and the willingness to help each other get better.    

• Administrators

GAJ0004,

It takes a lot to get me mad but if skiers were being laughed at for thier level of skiing at a tounement around here ...... Wow.  That is not what this sport is about.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I skied at a clinic at Dave's Pond in Edinboro PA this past August. Daniel Kennedy from April Coble's ski school gave a 3 day clinic. I injured my shoulder in July. It healed up enough where I could finish out the summer.  I got into 35 off twice this year. Tied my personal best of 2@35 off. He helped me get smoother at 28 off, and clean up my entrance gate at 32off.  One of the Dave's Pond club members was driving the boat. After I ran 4@32off he said I should do tournaments. If my work schedule lets me(I work alternating saturdays)  I may take a shot at it next summer in both slalom and tricks. I am spending the off season getting my left shoulder strong again. Off to the gym for an hour on the elliptical machine, and and hour in the pool depending on what my shoulder does. Ball of spray is good off season therapy...  

• Baller

I wound up skiing 4 tournaments this year.  Three INT events and one two round AWSA event.  I realized that I suck in tournaments.  I know it is only a matter of getting used to it but I didn't really perform that well.  I usually run deep 28 off and make 28 out of the water 50% of the time.  In my first tournament an INT event I started at 15 off 32 mph and made that then only got 5@34 mph.  The next event was the AWSA event and in the first round I fell around 5 at 15 off.  In the second round I ran 4@28 off which was okay.  The final two events I got a couple at 22 off.  I make 22 off 99% of the time at home.  Hopefully next year I will get better in tournaments because my little guy really likes them so we will keep skiing them.

I found the people to be great.  Everybody was encouraging and positive.  There was certainly nobody laughing about my performance even though as a Mens 4 skier I am certainly not competitive in my age group.

My goal next year is to run 28 off consistently in practice and in a tournament.

• Baller_
The way to get good at skiing tournaments, is to ski alot of tournaments.  I know that sounds dumb, but it's the truth.  When you can ski as good, or better at a different site, behind a different boat, and with a different driver, you'll know you've got it figured out.

• Baller
Another way to get good at tournaments is go get coaching at different sites.  You will gain confidence in a less intimidating setting and if you go to a few different places you will find that where you are really doesn't matter that much.  Use other skiers and professional coaches just go somewhere else to do it!

• Baller
I'm 44 and have been competing since 20 mostly in our nationals here in Brazil and evently in Latin American's tours. Would like to start competing at the Latin Senior Tour, our international big dawg, but my work does not let me do much lately. I am still skiing both at 36 and 34 and in my opinion big dawgs should ski at 35mph, at least till 50 years.