Radar Theory (Ed Obermeier)

Skihack

• Baller

Sorry for the slow response, I've been pretty well out of the loop lately.  Too much to get done, no friggin' time to do it all.  And still not skiing anywhere near as much as I'd like to be doing.

I like the Theory.  Mine is a 67" which I think is the right size for me (6' 3", 205 lbs).  It definitely feels like a Radar; what I mean is that at 30 mph I'm really not having to change much technique wise from my MPD at 34 to this ski at 30.  It turns similarly etc.  I DO have to be cautious not to give in the the temptation to try to crank off turns but rather to let it run through the turns ala the MPD.  At 30, with most wide rides it's pretty easy to just kick the tail around, slam dunk hitch-n-go style turns.  I can do that with this one too but once I get to my harder passes (35 & 38 off) doing that will hose you fast.  Be still and let the ski run through the turns (in other words ski with proper technique) all the way to the finish (requires a bunch of patience at 30 mph) and it carves a nice tight arc and leaves you with excellent angle and good position for the next wake cross. 

My one criticism of this ski is that it doesn't come with an adjustable fin, the fin is fixed.  I really think if I had an adjustable fin I could better tune how it turns to make it less likely to want to hitch-n-go.  I've sent this suggestion to Chris Sullivan at Radar but have received no response.  I'd really like to try a Slot fin on it too, I think that might be the ticket.  Something I could run deeper and with more surface area to make it arc more naturally.  I've only got one INT tournament left this year so I hate to spend any $$$ on a trick fin right now but may before next season.  Anybody got a Slot fin they want to part with?

IMO the Theory is a top eschelon wide ride 30 mph ski, right there with the Triumph and Syncro.  I haven't tried it at higher speeds, I think it might be good at 32 but at 34 I don't know that this is a ski I'd spend much effort on for that speed, that is not what it's made for. 

Ed

• Baller

Awsome skiing and big fun John, shortline at 30 really is a hoot.  You running the stock fixed fin?  Do you think I'm off base wanting to run more length and depth to round out the turns a bit more or should I just stick to learning more patience?

Ed