Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Nationals ranking cut off date error

jrs

The posted cut off date for Nationals ranking has been posted as the 24th but that is an error.  The rule book states:

"Ranking List Qualifications: a skier may qualify for the National Tournament in any event or overall by being ranked Level 8 at the Cut Off Date, which is 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time on the Thursday three weeks prior to the Thursday immediately before the start of the National Tournament.  The rankings average of the last ranked skier in level 8 at that time will be considered the Level 8 Cut Off Average for that event and division (See Ranking List Section of Website for specific details).  A skier may also qualify for Nationals after the Cut Off Date by increasing his Ranking List Average above the Level 8 Cut Off Average for his respective event and division between the Cut Off Date and Nationals; or by attaining a score equal to or greater than the Level 8 Cut Off Average for his respective event and division at the Regional Tournament or at any class E, L or R event between the Cut Off Date and the first day of Nationals."

This means the date is the 17th.  Take a look at the ranking list today and you will see that Mark Crone has changed it.  Here is an email that I just sent to the organizer of the Nationals, asking for her help.  She is upset with error by USA Water Ski and the way this is holding up entries to the Nationals. 

Charlotte,

Thank you for getting the word out about the serious error in the Cut Off Date that has been posted by USA Water Ski.  As you know I had gone through rule book to figure out this date several months ago when my ski partner was on the fringe of getting into the Nationals.  Now that we know the date has been posted incorrectly and the cut off date corrected to today (from the 24th to the 17th), what can be done for the hundreds of skiers that this error has effected?  First, USA Water Ski needs to immediately post a notification of error on the web site and send out a mass email of the same information.  The incorrect date has effected many skiers and also tournament organizers of "last chance tournaments".  Any "C" class tournament this weekend can now only impact the skiers average as opposed to a "R" class tournament where the skier only needs to meet the cut off average.  These tournaments were set up with the cut off date of the 24th and now we all know that the date is the 17th (today).  Skiers don't know if they are in or out and their last chance plans are now all up in the air.  Many have not sent in entries or booked hotels or made any other travel plans.  I could go on and on about all the implications this has on the Nationals and our ability to cover costs.  We need action and we needed in now!  I would like to see USA Water Ski own up to this serious error and lower all percentiles for Regionals and Nationals by 5% immediately to cover all the skiers that were put in this predicament by the ranking system and the error in the cut off date.  Please send this on to the people that can make this happen.  I will also post this on the internet forums to get the word out about the error.

• Baller
I know I'm not smarter than the average "Joe" but I've had the 17th on my Outlook Calendar since the spring.  I never looked at the USAWS website for the date - I read the rule book and deducted the date myself.  If USAWS posted the wrong date, then they should be held accountable for that.  But blaming this error alone for the lackluster level of entries to Nationals is misguided.  I've been watching the Event Registration list for a couple of weeks now.  There are a lot of highly ranked skiers who have chosen not to register for one reason or another.  Their qualification for an event was never in question.  Affording the time off, unreasonable travel for Regionals, skiing behind unfamiliar cruise systems, airline baggage charges, airline ticket costs, etc. probably play a much larger role than simply a misquote of the COD.  Although my daughter and I are attending, it was a more difficult decision this year based on the reasons stated.

• Baller
What is the qualification?  That's the question.  According the the Ranking List, I'm qualified for MM competition at Nationals because I skied in one Big Dawg event last September and scored as a MM competitor - not because of any particular score.  I guess if I wanted to stay until Saturday I could change my entry to MM ! 

• Administrators
If you read the rule book - Rule 3.xxx there is some qualification somewhere. I think it is 1.5 at 39 but I can not find it anywhere. Considering how long is has been since I ran 38 I guess I have other things to think about.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

jdarwin, if you never ran the MM qualification then scoring should not have listed you as MM even in a Big Dawg.  This is a known problem with scoring and the ranking list and would get caught at registration.

----------------------

MM is 1.5@39 once in an R or twice in a C.

----------------------

3.03 Open Division and Masters 55k Competition
For entry into the Open or Masters 55k divisions, performance and exceptional performance
standards, as listed on the Official AWSA Water Ski Athlete Performance
Qualifications sheet, must have been equaled or exceeded once at any National, Regional,
or Record Capability tournament . For Masters 55k, performances may occur
at two Class C tournaments. The performance(s) must have taken place within the
last 15 months for Open Divisions or within the last 12 months for Masters 55k Division.
Entry into the Open or Masters 55k divisions is optional. A skier entering one or
two events in the Open division must qualify by Open qualification performance
standards in each event. A skier entering three events, for overall placement,
must qualify with one Open performance (as described above) and two exceptional
performances, or by having a NOPS score of 2750 and a minimum of an
exceptional performance in each event. A skier skiing in one or more events in
the Open division but not qualified for, or opting not to ski in, the remaining
event(s) may ski in the division based on his age (Rule 3.02).

Horton, I'm not sure where you will find that form on the site but I have seen one.

Jdarwin, I'll see you there on Thursday.  Of course, it's my home site so I'll be there everyday.Tongue out