Brain dead

Cam

• Baller

As an older skier (56) I have always accepted that young kids coming through will pass me in a couple of years if they stick at it.

But I am starting to get frustrated now that I can't improve at the kids pace or even half of it, I am still improving scores wise but when I watch myself on video it still sucks.

I try to get professional coaching a couple of times a year and always have a coach in the boat at home and do try working on things rather than bashing away at the same mistakes.

It seems when I am taught something it goes into my head OK, but something else has to be forgotten to allow space for the new thing, which leaves me going round in circles.

Anyone got any advice on this or should I just accept I am getting old.

I ski @ 34mph and on a good day can get half way through 32.

• Baller
I bought the book last year and tried the concept for a while but had forgotten about it. I wll try it again next time out, maybe try some free skiing to get it right before going into the course.

• Baller

A good way to improve quicker is to have a game plan. It´s very easy to practice on too many things at the same time, hips forward, handle tight, knees bent, don´t let up, head level and so on.  Try to do some brain work and try identifying the areas where you think you need to improve the most. When you have found them, you make a plan and try to improve one area at the time and stick to that area until it´s not your weakest area any longer. Then you go on to the next area. After some time you will have to identify some new areas to improve because the old problems will hopefully be your strongest areas.

Tsixam

• Baller
Another thing to consider is to be sure you are working on the problem, not the symptom. For example, the symptom may be shoiulders forward on the pull, but the actual problem might getting back on the handle too fast afer the turn.  Good coaching will identify these things.  A problem could be occuring 2 balls before the symptom becoms obvious, so don't keep your focus on the move just before the symptom.

• Baller

Had a new coach in the boat yesterday and he decided my line was all wrong, so he took it all the way back to my pull out and glide, that improved within a couple of passes and I found myself approaching the buoys from a different position allowing me time to do all the things I had been working on previously which helped me to maintain speed through the turn and allow my ski to turn by itself without me pushing it.