Moving from 28 off to 32 off

kpickett

• Baller

I'm looking for some advice on what to do to move into 32.  I'm having trouble getting a good gate/one ball.  I can get around 3 at 32, but that seems to be the limit (granted I haven't taken that many passes at 32).  I actually just moved to an F1, and I love it, but I'm having some trouble with my gates in general.  I just can't seem to get the tip to come around for the gates.  I've been doing the fake one-handed gate, where I pull out at the 55m balls, glide a little, then release and turn in.  Any advice for this next pass?

Thanks very much,

Kyle

I've found that beginning at 32 it becomes critical that you not let the boat advance on you prior to pulling for the gate.  In other words when you pull out and reach your widest point you must start your movement toward that gate before you lose speed on th boat.

The biggest thing that I changed from 28 to 32 gates is the point that I initiate the turn in toward the gates. I start the turn in a couple of feet earlier on the boat. (I key off of the boat position on when to turn in.)

The next biggest factor in making 32 vs 28 is the preturn. At 32 you must initiate the preturn earlier. Any hesitation in doing this will result in a mountain of slack and really long arms after taking all of those hits. You must trust your ski and speed that you will make it to the buoy line. Remember that the only thing that needs to go around the buoy is the ski. I too often forget this and hesitate initiating the preturn and end up with sore hands, arms, and back.

• Baller

Thanks for the tips, guys. 

Another question - how wide should I be skiing the pass?  I try to ski 22 and 28 as wide as possible, but like JCH mentions, I might be pulling too long into the ball at 32.

• Baller

Is this at 36? If so, pulling too long into the buoy is a pass killer quickly.

Pulling too long into 32 was one of my downfalls as well. Once really focused on preturning (still working on it of course!) it has helped out tremendously.

Pulling too long just creates way too much speed for the ski and you'll either load/unload too quickly or bury the tip.

• Baller

One of the keys to shortening is an early edge change, which is pretty much the opposite of pulling all the way to the ball.  The only way to get an early edge change and still get around the bouy is to have good width and angle.  Ski narrow and you have to pull all the way to the ball; ski wide, and you can change edges at the second wake. 

Another factor that comes into play is when to begin the reach.  If you are used to skiing narrow, you will edge change (late) and reach at the same time.  When you ski wide, you need to keep the handle down and close after the edge change until you approach the ball.  It is a difficult timing change, but is critical  for maintaining cross course direction.  I think there was a posting on this site some time ago where Bruce Butterfield goes in depth into this concept.  Its good reading.

• Baller

Andre,

Go to the archived posts category here at BoS and it is under the title Handle Tight-Tight Line- Why title, second post down.   

Another thing to keep in mind is to keep your shoulders back during and after the edge change as well.  If you come forward in the preturn (anticipating the reach), you lose all of your cross course momentum. I don't think of this as a separate move, just more of a position to be (remain) in from the second wake out to the ball, and through the turn.

Report back on how it works out for you after you try it.  Good luck.

• Baller

Another thing to consider is the set up for the gate. A common mistake is to pull out to early and loosing speed and width. If you don´t have about the same speed as the boat, the acceleration will be too great. The result will be that the boat is pulling you of your edge and you will ski straight to 1 on a flat ski. If you on the other hand start from a higher speed, the acceleration will be less and you will be able to have a nice edge on the second wake and you can let the ski arc out and make a nice turn with a tight line.

Tsixam

• Baller

Thanks for the comments.  I've been working really hard on keeping the arms in, as per BB's article.  I spent my last two sets really working on the gate.  I seem to do best when I really commit to the one-handed gate and pull out pretty late.  I just get nervous about pulling out so late, but I get much better angle.  I really need to get consistent with my 28 - which is my big goal this year - but I'd also like to run 32 once or twice. 

Marco, I think you've pegged my problem, but exactly how do you do the earlier edge change?

Thanks again, guys.

Kyle

• Baller

Kyle,

Earlier edge changes come with increased angle.  It requires solid body position to hold the kind of angle you need, so I would suggest working on keeping your hands close to the body and shoulders back if you're not already doing so.  The other thing I would suggest is getting higher on the boat on the pullout during your 28's, and really increase the amount of angle you normally get through the gates.  Try to be really high and early at one ball.  If you are, I bet your edge change happened closer to the wakes.  You will feel like you have all the time in the world at one.  This is where keeping the hands down after the edge change comes into play.  

This does not mean to ski every pass like it is 39 off, but exaggerating your angle will help with the shorter lines.  Hope this helps.

Marco