How old is your training boat?

Horton

• Baller
We have 4 boats we ski behind a 3 Response LXs a 99, 01 adn 02 and a 07 Response LXI.  Three have PP classic and the 07 has Stargazer.  We have maybe 10 people that ski the course seriously at my lake but only two go to tournaments and they ski behind Nautiques.  My son wants to ski a couple of tournaments next year so we will probably start out with an INT event and see how that goes.  As long as he is skiing I will likely ski as well.

• Baller_
Chef23 - You could also look for sanctioned tournaments classed as an NC, which will have a Novice group, or events off of the AWSA Grassroots Schedule.  At our events the novice skiers only pay a $20. entry fee and are guaranteed 4 passes per round. We also install the "mini course" bouys for that group.

• Baller
I have a 1994 Ski Nautique with the carbureted 351 Ford(240 HP 1:1 tranny). I had PP Stargazer installed on it last year. It works great for my purposes. I used multimagnet mode to set up the baselines.  I use single magnet mode for skiing, and it works just like they say it does. I get times on actual or within a few hundredths every time.  If I am pulling a bigger(180-225 lbs) skier through the course at 30-32 miles per hour I have to set Kx to ++ to keep it from running away from ball 3-6. It would be nice to get a new boat every couple of years, but it is not necessary. I have skied behind boats with Zero Off. I can't tell the difference.  If would be nice to have a newer boat, but it is much easier to make a boat last. Keep it mechanically maintained, detailed, and keep on a lift during the season it will last for decades. If the newer boats are so much better than older ones, practicing behind an older one should give you an edge in a tournament(theoretically). With the cost of a new one, I would replace my engine before I would buy a new one. I wonder what a PCM EX 343 would be like under the hatch in my boat.  The crew that I ski with each have 2008 MC 197's. One is a Tournament Team Edition. I like mine a little better for tricks, but does not make a bit of difference in the slalom course. It is nice not having a payment. More money for other toys..

• Baller

Richard,

Thanks for the advice I will look for some of those types of tournaments also.  I should be able to get an introduction pass I can make but I am not sure about my son getting the entrance gates and his first pass every time. 

2000 Mastercraft with classic perfect pass.  I keep telling Richard, who cares what speed control you have, as long as the times are with in tolerance.  However I will up grade to GPS, if I can find someone willing to sell me their used Stargazer for cheap.