D3 X5 vs. Rose

kpickett

• Baller

My wife rode a friend's D3 X5 Rose and loved it, so I'm looking for one for her.  I haven't found any used or demos around (for budget limitations).  Do any of you know if there's any difference besides graphics between the Rose and the regular X5?

Thanks very much.

Kyle

• Baller
My daughter tried the Rose for a month this spring.  Her regular ski is a 2006 X5.  She loved the ski but struggled to run 28 on it.  Switched back to her X5 and ran right thru mid 32 first set.  Needless to say, she stayed on her old X5.  There are differences among the two skis but to what extent, I'm not certain.  But, I've watched several female skiers on it and they did not look as good as they did on their previous ski.  I would try and find a 2005-2006 X5.  Best ski made for females - bare none!

• Baller

Thanks very much for the advice.  My wife skied on the X5 Rose again today and really does like it.  I was hoping to get her on a wider ski, because she's working on making the course at 28 mph, but she does look good on the D3.  So, I'm looking for a regular X5.  I've only found '04s and '07s - no '05-'06s out there yet.  If I can't find an 05 or 06, what do you recommend?

I appreciate the good advice.

Kyle

• Baller

jdarwin,

Would you be willing to share some good numbers for that X5?  I have a 2007 Nomad RC and I am quite a bit away from the stock numbers they have posted at the D3 site; and, I understand that a lot of others are as well.  So I am assuming that the stock #s for the X5 are not as accurate as they could be.

• Baller

These are the numbers for the aluminum stock fin:  6.910 tips / 2.505 / .770 needle / 7deg wing

For Horton's 88 fin:  6.920 tips / 2.500 / .770 needle / 7 deg wing

The above numbers were for a 65.5" X5. 

Also, I'm not certain that the 04 X5 is not identical to the 05 and 06.  D3 has stated that  "improvements" were made to the X5 in 07 but not certain what they were.  I just know that the 05 and 06 were great skis and if you can find a used one, grab it!

• Baller

Hey Skibug -

You got the last one from WaterSkiWorld!  Bummer for me!

Jdarwin -

How different would an 06 Nomad be from the X5?  Should I just keep looking for an X5?  Thanks for the tips.

Kyle

• Baller
If I remember, the 06 Nomad was the "white top" version - first year.  I liked the ski but didn't think it was as stable as the X5.  Again, you are looking for a ski that can be ridden at 28-34mph with some confidence.  Either the X5, Custom X or Tightline versions would be my choice.  I have a neighbor who has a Tightline (women's X5 - a bit more forgiving) that his wife is no longer using.  I'll ask him about it.  Could be a cheap alternative to what's available in the marketplace today.