67" F1 and Draft Binding setup

ISP6ball

• Baller

I told my buddy I would help him set up his 2007 Connelly 67" F1 with Draft bindings.  The stock settings stated the binding setup needed to be:  Rear heal of front boot to tail 29.125" (I think).  I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, I’m out of town. Nonetheless, I measured it out, and it doesn't seem possible.  Even if I went to the last hole in the front plate i'm still around 29.50", and that would require some filing because the cable attachment covers up the last hole a little bit. 

I called Connelly and spoke to one of their techs.  He kept putting me on hold because he wasn't sure what the answer was.  He finally got the numbers to me he said I needed to be in the center hole on the front binding plate, and in the second hole on the rear plate.  After I set the bindings up like that I measured from the front heal to the tail of the ski, and it wasn't even close to being 29.125".

My buddy wanted me to take his ski out and test it.  Well, unfortunately, I did.  On about my 12th pass (not feeling very comfortable); I went OTF coming from my strong side across the first wake (OUCH!!)  I did one and half summersaults at mach 10 with the tail of the ski drilling me in the middle of the back (didn't even know that was possible).  P.S. My face hit so hard on the water I had numb lips for about 20 minutes.

I took about a 30 minute recovery period and then went out to try it again (a lot less aggressive).  After several passes I was coming from my strong side back across the first wake and the ski wanted to throw me right over the front again.  That was it for me.  I put it in the bag, and told him I would do some more research on it. 

Fin setting is very close to stock settings.  Do I just suck at this ski on stock settings or are the settings all messed up? Any suggestions?

• Baller

I have a 67 2007 F1.  I talked to the tech at Connelly last year and he said the stock setting for the front draft was all the way back.  He had to measure it when I was on the phone and came to the conclusion that the inserts were to far forward. I did grind the cable attachment on the front binding and the front of the rear plate to get them on. It works great now.  I got my fin numbers from rossi's site.  I think they are 6.85 Lenght tips, .78 DFT head and 2.51 depth

• Baller

So your screws are mounted in the holes closest to the toe on both the front and the rear bindings?

How in the world did that manage to screw that up so bad??  Nothing like having to saw on your brand new bindings to be at stock settings!!

legnth                           6.770      Tips

Depth                          2.500 

Distance from Tail       .780             

Try the bindings at 29 and 1/8 from the tail to the back of the rubber on the front boot.

I think the drafts came after the F1 hole pattern was established, so line it up as close as you can.