Prophecy Review

Horton

• Baller

I haven't posted about the Prophecy in a while. Just want to say that it has been about 2 months and I am still on it. I have no intention on going back to the 9500 in the warehouse. It is really a good stick. After years on Goodes it has taken me a while to truly feel comfortable on it, but it is getting there. The RS 1 was not for me. Watching video of the A1 doesn't really make me want to try it that bad. I would like to try a RCX. Not spending 4 large on the Warp or 2 for the Elite. Tired of Goode. 

One thought. The price difference in skis is amazing. I was about to say that for the money the Prophecy is the best ski out there. It is, but that would be discrediting it as a true high performance ski. I don't think that there is much difference in ultimate performance in most skis. You just have to find something that you are comfortable on and work on fixing yourself and consistency. As John said in his early testing of the Prophecy "it is a ski you can just ride and work on fixing your problems because it is not going to do anything stupid." Paraphrased of course. 

The Connelly Concept was a great ski for me and helped me improve a lot. They make some crap for years, but the F1 got them back in the game. The Prophecy is a more forgiving extension of that. They seem to be headed in the right way and amazingly continue to offer good, no great, value to the customer.  

sj

• Baller

efw,

My numbers have moved closer to those.

2.509, .766, and 6.749. Dbl hardshells at 29 1/8 on a 67". I can't imagine being farther forward than this on a 66" as deep as this ski sits. He does have less tip though.

I also went from 8 deg to 7 deg for the big dawg drop to 34 mph. I left it there when I went back to 36 and it actually skis better.

• Baller

Hmm... I love my 07 F1 but now you guys got me thinking I need to try the Prophecy. 

My F1 numbers that have always worked for me on a 67 is 2.515, 6.835, .78 and 29 1/8th.  I'm amazed that ~6.740 by tips works on the prophecy.  I guess I need to try it.

Our water is 50 degrees right now. 

• Baller

I received a new fin diagram from connelly for the prophecy. They are

6.87  lenght tips

2.512 depth

.76 dft to bevel (head?)

.81 dft at end of ski(tail?)

Is anyone running it this long and deep. I"m using the F1 numbers with good success. Also I would woould be curious of the numbers used in the 2009 ski test

• Baller

Slow,

I think my length is 6.748 with the head.

.770 with the jaw flat up against the tail.

I tried a lot more length, but the ski was way deep in the water even with the bindings at 29.25. The only problem I feel with the above numbers is a bit of "falling in" at the end of the offside turn if I drop my inside shoulder. I may try to go a bit deeper if I can't keep the shoulder up.

sj

• Baller
just picked up a new Prophecy 67". Fin was way off from the factory as delivered. I'm in the course working on 22 off 34 mph (at 5'11" 165 lbs). I used tips not jaws and set the fin length as such:

6.759 length tips

.772 this one always is tough for me.

2.51 depth

wing at 7.5

the front top part of the fin is pokin through fin block a fair bit. Trying to copy a blend of good numbers or get close before I take it out and ride it Saturday. What are your thoughts on my settings? Thanks for any reply. Mike

• Baller

Mike,

Your numbers sound good. Don't be afraid of the fin up out of the block. Mine was the same. I would recommend trying it without a wing. This ski sets deep at 34. Try with the wing for a few sets, but try without the wing before changing the numbers much. Also, 29 1/8 sounds far back but I tried farther forward and it is not good. 

Wish you would have called me. My 67" is for sale!

Good luck,

sj

• Baller

Scot took it out for just 1 set today and wow. Pleasantly suprised coming off the A1. It rides deep and secure, doesn't feel like it is going fast but it is and building angle. The only weirdness is with the sharper bevels on the pull out. If you go flat for more the a second after rising up it seeks an edge which isn't really a problem. Water was breaking mid front foot to heel according to my driver (no spotter). Front Animal boot is 29 1/8 to the plastic and 29 1/4 to the rubber above the plastic piece on the heel. Thats one hole forward. The driver suggested I go one more hole forward but at .772 DFT what do you think about just bringing the fin back a bit instead? My rear toe plate puts me a solid inch back but feels o.k. Wondering if one hole forward with the RTP is a better solution. Really it felt pretty good and I ran complete 34 mph passes off the dock backsiding some buoys. This ski rocks in a subtle way. Very secure,  kind of stealth fast, and turns are as tight as you decide. Alot of ski in the water through the turns.  Don't think I'll climb back on an A1 anytime soon after riding the Prophecy. More people should try one of these. A friend on lake 3 where I skied today will have some Z7's soon from Paul Crawford. Looking forward to riding one.

• Baller
I suck. Period. Different Lake with lots of clay sediment and colder water. My first pass was a beautiful thing then couldn't run a single pass on this awesome ski. Huge angle coming off two ball. Three times in the drink. Its like I had all kinds of time until I got around the bouy sideways. Way too much angle offside. .772 dft. 

• Baller

And hence, the problem with the Prophecy. There were times where I felt that the Proph was the best ski ever. As you say, awesome angle, deep in the water, best toe side turns I ever had. Problem was I could go out next set and come away with the "I suck" feeling. It is also pretty physically taxing due to riding so deep.

I have been on a Z7 for a couple of weeks. Not perfect, but much more user friendy and easier on my body. If you have the strength and skill the Prophecy is an awesome ski. I really wish I could ride it. 

sj