First tourney with SG

tsixam

• Baller

I am going to my first tournament of the year this weekend. I just found out that the speed control will be SG in a 08 Malibu. I don´t have a chance to practice on site before the tournament. What differences can I expect compared to my 2000 SN with PP 6,4?

Tsixam

You will be back about 4-6 balls off of your PB. If you make any mistakes at your hardest pass, you will not have the ability to scrap and still run the pass. It has no give and take, it only takes. Your passes up to that pont will feel like you are getting a 16.89.  

• Baller

Thanks MS,

I´m going to ski 2 sets tomorrow, do you think it´s a good idea to crank the speed up to 16.89 or even faster and kx+ to get used to the feeling?

Tsixam

I would ski PP a bit hotter than actual for practice and maybe KX+. The main thing is to not freak out and just try to ski light and smooth. I only skied the SG behind a Malibu that was tuned pretty good and a MC that felt really hot. If the Promo boat is owned by a shortline skiier, it will probably be tuned pretty nice, but expect a more solid pull then you are used to.

• Baller
I don't think you will find that much difference between SG and PP classic.  The main issue is mid-course times for lighter skiers.  If the boat is set up for a 180lb skier, you should be fine.  The lighter skiers >150 will have to deal w/ hot first segments and actual end times.  Don't let MS freak you out.  If you ski 4-6 buoys off your PB, it won't be the boat's (or cruise) fault. 

• Baller_
I had the opposite experience two weekends ago, first tourney behind ZO after a winter and spring behind SG.  JDarwin is right on, it's the skier's mistakes, not the speed control that causes problems.  In my opinion, hot times are good times!

• Baller

Hot times suck! They reflect an attempt to work within tolerance to the skier's disadvantage. However bad it might be to use tolerances to enhance a skier's performance, using it to hurt the skier is worse!

It seems as if the designers of the speed control systems are designing the systems to get perfect times at the expense of the best possible speeds over the ground. Something is wrong! If I drive my car too slow then too fast to make up the time, I will get a speeding ticket. If I drive too slow then just right I will not get busted. Why should skiing rules be opposite? Remember, excessive speed causes car accidents and missed buoys.

Last year my light weight and scrappy style was not penalized. Now we have form points and anorexia watch?! Who changed the rule book? Blaming the skier is wrong as is cheerleading for bad fast driving. We need to give reasonable feedback to ZO and PP not use the problems with the systems to put down skiers who might be less able to handle fast times (like skiers who have not run 36 for decades - hope you stay in the sport long enough to get there). PP and ZO need to fix their systems to be fair and historically consistent.

Eric 

It is the skiers mistakes that cause the lower ball count. The problem is, with PP classic, you could make the mistake and still have a chance to pull it off. With ZO, there is no give and you are done.

But, it is the same for everyone now and there are no 17.04s for one guy and 16.89s for the next. That is the one thing I do like is that the playing field is now very level.

• Baller

I have skied the SG and ZO  in several tournaments and I can say SG is a little more forgiving.  I don't think it skis 4-6 balls behind your average, unless you are practicing at 17.09.  Most of the tournament skiers are preferring SG when given a choice.  I have seen a few boats this year that has both systems and you can choose.

I have not heard anything negative about the systems, other than nobody knows what A,B,C means on the ZO, and everyone has an opinion about it.

You need to remember that tournament drivers may not always err on your side.  In a stiff tail wind, you can get burned, making it very difficult.  Where ZO or SG will give you a perfect ride with a head or tail wind.  Its one less thing you have to worry about.

In fact, I judged in the boat recently with PP classic and the driver was giving lots of 92s and 91s.

• Baller

We pulled 8 PB's at my tournament this past weekend.  4 behind SG and 4 behind ZO.  I skied within 1/2 buoy of my PB behind ZO.  One skier scored 2 @ 41 off behind ZO.  The ZO P-101 version is better than previous versions and once you get used to the pull, it is fine.  I've found that a driver has more of an impact on my skiing than does the cruise control. 

BTW, most skier chose "A" setting on ZO. 

• Baller

Thanks for the advice. 

I skied 2 passes today, with times on the hot side. I skied well, up to my ppb twice. I am looking forward to try SG and I feel pretty confident. I will let you know what I think about SG and if I ski well I will let you know the result../vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif

Tsixam

• Baller

MS was right. I was 6 balls of my pb. But I don´t think it was SG´s fault. I think it felt pretty good to ski behind. I started at 28, it felt a little bit squirrelly,( I was nervous) 32 felt very nice. Then at 35 I skied right on 1 and turned way too hard and could not hold on. The only thing I noticed was that my gate timing was a bit off. It felt like I was coming in slower to my turn in than I am used to. To the second round I adjusted and let the boat pass the pre gates and it felt ok again. My 28, 32 and the beginning of 35 felt great. I had a super no 3 and was really wide and early for 4 but then for some strange reason I got too far back on the ski and could not make a good turn. I managed to reach 5 but I was very late. If I had calmed myself down I would probably have made it but I turned too hard and could not hold on. The famous five-ball-monster got me again.

Tsixam