Arm Guard - first impression

Horton

• Administrators
I got an Arm Guard in the mail Friday. I took maybe 5 minutes to install. (It would have taken longer if I read the directions but I just can't read directions.)  Before skiing I was sure that I had screwed up the part that attaches to the handle itself. It looked all wrong (should have read instructions?). The wind was up and down plus it was cold so we decided to all ski at 20 MPH and see what we could run. I ran 3.5 at 38 on a 66 Synchro and totally forgot that the Arm Guard was there.

http://ballofspray.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSC_4212.JPG

Ok so I can goof on it, what about really skiing? I only really got one good weather set this weekend so I did not ski a lot but over maybe 20 passes I hit the center attachment only once and basically forgot the whole thing was there. As for the guard it self I can not see how I would ever hit it with my hand. As for the feeling that I had set it up wrong; once I really pulled on the rope the thing that I thought was wrong straightened it self out perfect. It is a no brainer

My first impression is: Like a seat belt in a car, I cannot imagine how a skier would be better off without an Arm Guard. I have never put my arm or head though a handle but extra safety cannot be a bad thing. 

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

John,

Wow, thanks for the plug.  I will personally NEVER ski without an ARM-GUARD™ on the handle again.  There are two other options that are available to skiers; one is built by Chef Anton and one has been made in the past by Scott Rabineau.  Chef can be reached at 800-679-3859, and Scott can be reached at srabeneau@earthlink.co.

Below are three image links - #1 is Chef's device, #2 is Scott's device and #3 is ours.  Also, the clickable link below is a shot of an ARM-GUARD™ installed on a 2008 13" Radar handle.

1) http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/antons_handle.jpg 

2) http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Rabeneau1.jpg 

3) http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/12inchStraightlineRADIUS.jpg

• Baller

Glad to hear that they are so unnoticeable to ski with.  I have 2 on order, but without a Pay Pal account I had to order by snail mail.  Tick tock...

TW- If you don't receive my order by the end of this week, drop me a line.  Thx

OK - Installed and ready to test drive.

Can't say enough about the quality and service. Thomas is getting off to a great start in my book. FYI, my install is in a US Gear Radius and it looks like it will work out well.

Thomas, can you make ne for the same handle but with a smaller opening for the hands? I'm thinking about my daughters handle, she has the same model but smaller diameter. She can easily get her arm through the space left in mine after the install.  She's 9 years old and their arms are pretty small at that age.

Chuck,

I see from your photo that you can expect a sunny day with some cloudiness.  Also that your install looks pretty good.

For your daughter's handle, measure the space between the edge of the safety panel and the handle - that is, the opening - on your existing install.  Email me that value, and also what you would prefer that distance to be on your daughter's handle, and I'll morph the design to match the one you've got, but leaving the smaller gap that you want.  I'll also leave a little bit wider solid edge, so that you can trim it down as she grows - or if the fit turns out to be too tight (you can trim the panel very easily with heavy-duty kitchen shears, and deburr with a file - or even an emery board).

Thomas

• Baller

TW,

Were you able to send out my ARM GUARDS on the 4th like you were planning?  I have not seen them here in Colorado yet.  I would have thought that with such a large pony leading the express, they would have been here by now.

Marco

Marco,

We had a major delay last week and weren't able to ship any orders out until this week.  As usual, we sent all the delayed orders out Express Mail at our additional expense.  I just checked your tracking number, and got this result: 

Label/Receipt Number: EB26 2018 XXX US (I'll email you the full tracking number)

Your item was processed and left our GRAND JUNCTION, CO 81505 facilityon June 12, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening.Please check again later.

If they haven't delivered it by this afternoon I have to assume it will get there tomorrow.  If not, let me know immediately and I will resolve it one way or another as soon as humanly possible.

TW 

• Baller

TW,

I received the Arm guard last week, but due to a crazy work schedule, did not try it until last night.  I agree with everything JTH said at the top of the page.  Extremely easy to install, and once I started skiing, I completely forgot it was on the handle.  No change in feel, fingers never touched the guard, never noticed the middle tie.  I put it on by the handle end of the rope, and that as no problem either.  Nice job on the concept and design!  I am sure there will be more orders coming from our lake skiers once they try it.

Marco