Front Binding Rotation

mopowpow

Do any of you rotate your front binding?  If so... why?  We are currently thinking that if the front binding is rotated toes out that the hip movement would be easier to accomplish on the off-side turn.  We feel that with the front toes pointing directly forward that there is a limit to the rotation available, but if the front toes are slightly out the hips can rotate easlier/further.  Now, I can't try this on my own since I am currently on Approach boots and only have the ability to roate my rear boot.  But this would be a good excuse to change bindings...

Thanks in advance.

I've found that on hard shells rotating the front toe out was necessary to feel comfortable with my turns.  I rotate the back foot about the center of the binding and rotate the front foot about the heel.  Keep in mind that these rotations are opposite directions of each other.  For a right foot forward skier, rotate the back binding in a counter-clockwise direction and the front binding in a clockwise direction.  Typically, the front rotation will be about half of the rear amount as a good starting point.

• Baller

Today I moved my front binding about 3mm (3/16") to the left. Aligned straight but offset left (I'm RFF on hardshells). Very interesting. It improved my offside turns and I was able to keep my onside turns strong. I like it!

Another tuning technique.

Eric

I was also thinking right for RFF to make the hip rotation easier.  You can practice the different stances in a doorway.  But wouldn't going left make the turn more like a (god forbid) toeside wakeboard turn?

• Baller

Oops, it was more like 5mm (still 3/16"). If we'd just totally switch to metric these mistakes might go away. Well, actually I didn't measure so it was one screw hole - I don't need no stinkin calipers. With hardshells so much narrower than the ski (or plate) I could move quite a bit more.

I was having a bit of trouble getting the ski to come around on my offside (1,3,5). The onside was great - maybe a bit too sensitive even. I've tried rotating bindings and I don't really like it (except for tricks) and I don't really understand the effects. Moving the unrotated binding to the left gave more edge pressure to the left side of the ski (and less to the right). That translated to a tighter radius on the 1,3,5 side. I was still able to bring the ski around OK on 2,4,6.

I need to get a few more slalom sets to see if I really like it but my first impression was favorable. Unfortunately, I am barely getting any skiing right now and even fewer slalom rides. And that set was right after shoveling 16 tons of dirt by hand uphill in 120 F heat in the shade (and no shade) with no water on not enough sleep and hungover. And I skied well! Of course, I had PP classic with a NEW switch set to KX - PX10 and a couple of weeds on the prop and Kirk did not try to get a perfect time by adjusting at 6 ball...

Eric