Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Wing or not to wing that´s the ..

tsixam

• Baller

I tried to ski without the wing yesterday. I started at 28 off, and then skied 5 passes at 32 off. To my surprise I didn´t notice any major differences in the way my ski behaved. The tip of the ski was a little bit higher at the end of the turn on both sides and I gained some width. The biggest change was that the whole set felt a little bit more unstable. I think that one of the advantages with a wing is that it stabilise the ski. 

On the second set I had put on a small grind down wing. See attachments. I started at 28, skied 4x32 and 2x35. The ski tip was lower than on the first set without a wing, but I still gained some width. I could not feel that the wing was braking. The biggest difference between no wing / wing was that the ski was much more stable than without. It also felt like it was easier to keep the direction after the second wake. It´s going to be interesting to see how the mini wing works when I push it a little bit further.

Tsixam

• Baller

I think it is the shadows and the white edge from sanding that makes it look asymmetrical. I flipped one half over and put it on the top of the other and grinded them together. I could not feel any strange things in the course. It just felt very good!

Tsixam

• Baller

Tsixam - Are you skiing on a sixam?  I just moved from an 05 Monza to a "like new" 06 Sixam.  I installed a "Line-Lock" fin system so I could use the speed-slot-fin from the old ski. I have only ridden it one time free skiing and thought it felt very

predictable turning but didn't want to get free from the boat, ie. slow! I am still healing from a Feb. wreck so it wasn't a very enthusiastic test. The wing on the fin is mini size like your modified one. Do you - or anyone else - have any recommendations for fin settings for this ski? Thanks, Matt.

• Baller

Wings are a proven benefit to a ski. I recommend that a skier add a wing at their maximum speed. It makes the ski feel like you are skiing one pass slower. Now I know John and some others have 36 visions but making the ski feel like 36 when running 34 is only good if you are still trying to stay current at 36 while competing at 34. I need every advantage that skiing slow gives my old body. I want a wing and KX- PX10 and a speed control looking for a good pull not a perfect time for my best rides.

I tend to overpull and carry too much speed into the buoy. The wing really helps this. Also the wing seems to add a bit of tip pressure - always a good thing for me. The wing is a useful tool - use it!

The wing could use some improvement. Thinner? Especially at the base?? How about the titanium wing notched into the fin?

Eric

• Administrators

Eric, Taking the wing off at 34 has nothing to do with 36. For me and a lot of skiers no wing means more speed though the turn. The more speed I maintain the less I have to work to get to the next ball. If a ski is set up right, I think that well more the 50% of 34 mph skiers would do better without a wing. \

On the flip side I can see how a ski with a wing might be more forgiving for some skiers. If are stopping and starting at the ball the extra drag may keep you in the hunt for one more ball.

By the way I am not Anti-wing. In fact I have been meaning to try a small one again this year. I expect to take it back off but we all need to look at options.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I'm curious John..... what changes have you been doing to the setups when taking the wings off? Adding tip? Moving bindings forward? Yesterday, I saw some hi res pictures of me skiing without the wing on the SS in a tournament recently and the first thing I thought was the tip is way high after the apex to the hookup.

• Baller

I skied a set on my warp (which has a 106 CBR monza fin) w/o a wing. It didn't feel much different except it was a little bit unstable. Anyhow I didn't feel the need to change anything else about the setup.

On the other hand, the Radar MPD that I have been riding lately has an aluminum fin. It seems like it would be radically different if I took the wing off it. That makes me wonder if skiing w/o a wing is more likely to work with a carbon fin? Horton?

• Administrators

I say that at 36 MPH you really have to have it. At any speed slower it is trial and error. Many skiers feel that they jsut can not ski without a wing. Many can go back and forth. I just can not use one anymore.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

At tournaments, everyone looks at me like I've got a 3rd eye when they see my ski without a wing. lol.

I tried one on my RS1 the other day. Just skiing in a straight line you could feel that the tip was down more. But it just feels like I'm dragging behind the boat and in the edge change. So I took it off and moved the sequence plate forward one hole. I did get a mini-wing from Schnitz the other day to try. It's 1/2 the size of the wing that comes with all of todays skis. I'll post what that feels like after I try it.