Private Lake - Shore question.

Boody

• Baller

We have private lake that is only two years old.  The shores are sloped 12 to 1.  Lately, one particular section of shore developed a 2-3" shelf from last years vegetation.  This is causing a small backwash problem. 

The soil is mostly black sticky clay.  I need to do two things: 1) Knock down the shelf and 2) Put some type of rock or sand on the shores to keep it from eroding.

Is there any type of equipment that I can use to knock down the shelf, something I can attach to a tractor? 

I would like to do sand, but I am not conviced it will hold, but may give it a try.  Anyone have experience with sand?  If not, what type of rock is ideal, and perhaps something that you can walk on for tournament purposes.

Thanks.

Mike

If it's not a real big area I'd just use some #2 crushed stone.  Use a bobcat to spread it 3-4 feet wide.

Leon

• Baller_
Ski Park recut the edges of the lake last Sept. after years of the turf growing out. They used a small excavator with a 3' bucket to scrape back the grass. The rock they used is 3-4" nasty crushed, it's about a 3' width and you have to be careful stepping on it. They chose the bigger rock so that it wouldn't disappear over time. It really only takes one step to get clear. But now it should hold back the grass, and the bounceback is all gone. It's a huge improvement.

Most of south Texas the soil content is black gumbo. This stuff holds water very well but is easily re-shaped by wave action. Two things that have worked very well in this area are:

1) If a 4" to 6" lip is already formed use a 15' wide roll of geo-texile cloth. Place cloth lenght wise along shore line and allow 6" to 8" of cloth to be up on the bank. Use bags of sak-crete to form a line along bottom edge of cloth. Be sure this depth is in at least 2'-3' of water or the wave action will start a new erosion line at base of the sak-crete. Use re-bar and pin sak-crete in place. Back fill with bull rock from sak-crete to lip. Price every thing out before hand, bull rock can be very expensive in some area's. Use this process at the starting dock and shore lines of turn islands it stops any and all erosion of heavy boat wakes(starting, stopping, turning) in these area's.

2) In the fall or early spring drop the level of the lake about two feet. Wait one or two weeks and allow shore line to dry. Rent or purchase 3 point PTO powered tiller that will fit the tractor. Make at least two passes on problem area's(depends on width of problem) or two passes of entire shore line. Follow this up with pasture rake or use a roller. But be careful with use of roller/wet area's You might get REALLY stuck and make a REALLY big mess. If you use this method it's best to hire someone who knows how to use this equipment and someone who knows soil content. (Rancher)