Jump Ramp repair

Horton

• Administrators

Yea I know that this is supposed to be a slalom only forum but . . . .

So I have been asked to help with the repair of a local ramp. The ramp has a 6 panel MasterCaft style surface. One of the panels is a big blister. I am afraid that the only thing to do is to cut the delam out and patch it. I assume that filling it with resin will just make it spread and make a mess.

I know how to do a bit of composite work but this scares me a little.

Ideas?

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

My skis often blister. I inject epoxy under the blister. I use a heat gun and slow cure epoxy so the resin gets thin and wicks into all the edges of the blister. I then weight the blister down so once everything cures it is flat. Sometimes the blister has stretched the skin a bit and a substantial cut is needed so the end result is flat (a small finishing repair will now be needed). I would try a repair before cutting and patching. Good luck.

Eric

• Baller

One ski had the bottom substantially delaminate from the core. I drilled a few holes in the ski and blasted compressed air in the holes. This blew out lots of water. Some heat gun (or a sunny day in your case) and some compressed air got most of the water out. Then I injected resin into the holes, blew it out and reinjected resin. The quality of the bond was good enough that Kirk has been using that ski for a full year - after I had gotten two seasons out of it earlier.

Maybe you should use a bunch of screws to hold the laminate together while it cures. Screw holes are easy to repair. If there is enough material on the bubble maybe you could use stainless screws countersunk in a ways. After everything cures you could fill the countersinks with JB weld and sand to a good finish.

Jump surfaces don't need to be strong. They need to hold together. A bubble that ends up a weak spot is OK. A repair patch might present an edge that can peel up the whole repair. Especially when there is wax and water to degrade the adhesion.

Of course, a new panel might be necessary.

Eric

You may try what's called elevator bolts (don't know why) they have a tin flat head that you can leave in place, if you can pull them just a little under flush.  Then use your filler of choice (epoxy or resin) and sand.

Leon