Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Radar RS-1

HO 410

• Baller

Thomas, good idea. That or a teflon washer on the aluminum standoff...

So, since your in the handle guard business, do you also sell sets of bronze standoffs...? I do have a local machinist that I have used to mill my Fischer fin block .0012" so I could use John's Carbon Fins (RIP) and I'm sure he could whip up anything I ask for, but it seems you're already tooled up for the job /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

Roger

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
I learned something today. I had been using the wrong sized stand-offs under my plate. The early model stand-off's were sized to fit the .100" plates, and I should've had the taller ones for the .125" plate I'm now using. So new hardware and some fin tuning made my RS-1 ski better today than it ever has.

I thought about machining a small thrust washer to go on top of the standoff, but I didn't want to add any height between the plate and the ski.  Also, Teflon on such a small surface area would wear too fast to do much good, I suspect.  The bronze will also wear - though it should be much more durable than aluminum.  I considered using a good stainless, but the worry there is that the plate will wear out instead - REALLY don't want that to happen.

I currently have a couple hundred pounds of bronze rod in stock, but it's all 1 1/4" diameter; removing that much stock for a small handful of standoffs for myself was fine, but to offer them as a product I would have to bring in some smaller rod... say 1/2" or so.  Can't think of much compelling reason to that.

TW 

• Baller

I sent a high resolution photo to Radar today of one of my standoffs. At this rate of wear, I will be replacing the stanoffs every 3 to 4 months. That is not acceptable in the long run. I cut slack for a new system, but expect improvements/upgrades to solve issues found in the field. I have asked them to keep me posted on this.

In the meantime, they sent me a new rear cover plate for the one that broke and some extra standoffs. Customer service so far has been excellent for me. Eddie sent me a set of standoffs without threads when I posted to him in another forum about my Fischer having metric hardware. He took my address and I received the hardware before the bindings arrived.

This is the only issue I have with this system. I love skiing with them and I believe it's the safest system to date (my opinion of course after having tried various rubber bindings and two other hardshell systems).

• Baller

Thomas,

I spoke with Eddie today about replacing my plate with the thicker .125 plate. Turns out I have the older .100 plate. Your name came up in the conversation as he was curious how your bronze standoffs are working out?

As always, his attitude and service regarding the Radar products was/is outstanding. I'm a very satisfied customer and look forward to meeting him at the Nationals.