INT Wide Ride Rule

Horton

• Administrators

I asked Eddie at Radar about this and he said that the 69” Senate was legal for wide ride. Considering that I can run into 38 at 34 on 67” Senate, I would think that there may be a new killer wide ride choice.

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

15.5 inches in width??

From the INT League's Official Rule Book -

"Wide Ride Ski Measurements - Ski's used in the Wide Ride Division must fall into one of these catagories specified by the Manufacturers; Shaped, Mid, Parabolic.  Wide ski's must also meet these measurement specifications; minimum 7 1/4 inches in width (measured 1 inch in front of the manufacturers original placement of the front boot) with a maximum ski length of 71".  Ski's that do not fit these specifications may not be used, even though they are sold as "Wide".  The Chief Judge and/or event director makes the final decision as to whether a ski can or cannot be used in the Wide Ride ski event."

I'd say before buying a Senate as a wide ride I'd contact INT and get a clarification on it.  Since the ski is not sold as being Shaped, Mid, or Parabolic I question their legality for that class.  But they have the final say so.

Radar makes something similar to the Triumph don't they?  Eddie developed that ski while at HO specifically for the INT Wide Ride divisions and it's been one of the most successful wide rides on the market.  I can't imagine they don't have a similar ski in their lineup.  Ask him next time you speak with him John.

Ed

• Baller

ok, ok,  so I more than doubled the amount of the width!  :-)  my recollection was a little foggy...but at least I got the measurement in front of the binding part right.

• Administrators

Scarlet is doing the SUPER WIDE RIDE!

I am only kind of thinking about doing some INT but if some one would really find out about the Senate I think it would be an almost unfair advantage. (That is a hint to anyone who skis INT)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

"Scarlet is doing the SUPER WIDE RIDE!"
AKA wakeboarding!  /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif (Sorry man, couldn't resist)

The Midwest district coordinator is a personal friend, I'll ask him next time we speak.  If it is allowable I may be in the market for one myself.  I currently wide ride on a 69" KD Evolution Carbon, the Senate would me a LOT more like riding an MPD...

The Senate is marketed as a wide ski.  The ad copy says it is a wider version of the MPD with a different core.  Please keep in mind that the max speed in Wide Ride is 30 mph.  You will need a longer Senate at that speed than at 34 mph.  As for myself, I have a 69" inbound.

• Baller

Hi Karl, good to know you're still out there somewhere.  This reply isn't attempting to take you on, it's just for the sake of expanding this discussion.

For the sake of discussion...  Saying a ski is a "wider" version of another ski isn't the same thing as specificaly marketing it as a "wide ride" ski.  I haven't seen anything from Radar that would specifically fulfill that requirement.  Quite the oposite in fact, to me this is Radar's somewhat generally similar answer to the HO Nitro, which (at least to my knowledge) is not legal for INT Wide Ride.  I hope you're right and I'm wrong; if so I'm all over ordering up a 69" Senate for INT this year.  I think before assuming anything I'll talk to Rick or Nanette or someone on the slalom rules committee first.

Ed 

• Administrators

I rode a 66" Synchro this weekend and ran right into 38. The lake was rolly and I really am not sure if the boat speeds were right because to the GPS you know what but it was fun anyway.

I had some HO bindings on there one hole back. Not sure where they belong but that ski turns so darn hard I think it needs a really deep fin and bindings further back to smooth things out.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

That seems to be an issue with skiing at 30 mph, the skis do seem to turn harder/sharper.  Not the nice short radius smooth turn we're getting used to with the high end skis at 34 - 36.  I haven't played enough with setup to find a good fix for that, if you come up with something please share it.

Ed

• Baller

I spoke with Rick Stocks (INT League founder/CEO) today concerning the legality of the 69" Senate for INT Wide Ride class.  He said he's looking into it and willget back with me.  Hope to have a ruling from him within the next several days.

Ed

Update 10:20 PM Tuesday evening - I got an e-mail this evening as a forward, he's sent it out to the Slalom Rules Committee members for comment and ruling.  Hope to hear something back soon.

• Baller
OK, here is the ruling on the question about using the 69" Senate for INT League Wide Ride Class.  This from the chairman of the INT slalom rules committee -
Ed,
I wanted to clear up the ruling on the wide-ski. If the ski meets the measurements outlined in the rule book you are OK. We want people using skies that are designed to be wide skis. The wide skiing has really grown and we are modifying the wording in the 2008 rule book but the measurements are the still the same.
Go ahead and get your Radar ski.  Have fun and we hope to see you in California on the podium.  Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Mark Miller
INT Southeastern Coordinator
Slalom Committee Chairman
John, check your inbox...
Ed

• Administrators

I am thinking about skiing wide ride again. I left Sully a message today asking if Radar had spoken to Stocks about it. The Theory is bigger for  slow skiing but I don't know. Got go beat guys on Synchros and Trimuphs

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

IF (big if) the Theory skis like an MPD just slower it should be the equal or better of the Syncro, Triumph etc.  I'll let you know when I get back from Florida...  Did you have one at the ski tests, and have you ridden one John?

Ed

• Baller
Nice discussion of Wide Ride. I think Mark Miller hit it right on the head, measure your ski !! I have skied a 67 Triumph, 69 Nitro, 69 Charger and gone to US Championships on all of them. I jumped on a Sixam2 69 late last season and picked up a full pass on the first set. I have not measured the other lengths of the Sixam2 but do know for sure the 69 is 7.26 in case I want to sand the bevels a little. The SS version of the Sixam is the same ski in the 69, some changes were made in the shorter models.Cool thing is I can ski this @55kph as well with NO change in settings. Hope to see you all at Ski West in October. Uncle Craig

• Baller
John, the silver top 2 point 69 IS INT legit. It measures 7.26 in the 69 length. The shorter versions may not be quite as wide. My sources at Obrien tell me the 69 SS uses the same layup as the 2 point in the 69 length because it works so well.

• Administrators

I also looked into this today. Looks like the INT rule has changed and the 2 Point is approved for Wide Ride. Any ski that is wide enough is now approved.

Drop a dime in the can