Issues with STARGAZER

slalomdude

• Baller

To my knowledge there is nothing to calibrate with Stargazer.  The gate magnet tells the timer to start timing, SG times how long it takes to travel 259 meters, that's it.  It will give you split times but they're virtual times, there is nothing in connection with the course that triggers anything connected with SG to tell it where exactly each gate is located.  It doesn't read the buoys, magnets, or anything, just measures the distance via GPS and tells you how long it took to travel that distance ASSUMING that the gates are in exactly the correct location (whether they are or not).  Any other magnets on the course are ignored so they won't screw anything up.

You can calibrate your boat FOR THAT PARTICULAR COURSE using Classic mode, then switch to SG and see what the differences are if any.  But my understanding is that there's nothing to calibrate, SG (and ZO for that matter) measure elapsed time over a set distance traveled and that's it.

Ed  

• Baller
Thanks for the input and advice.  When you first fire up SG it puts you in a calibration mode and it instructs you to run through the course to adjust the RPM as necessary to bring the times in accurately.  It would make sense that you could do this in the classic PP mode and make small adjustments in the GPS mode.  The manual does specify to switch from a multi magnet mode to a single magnet mode depending on the course set up.  Why is that?  Unless it just has to do with running in classic PP mode??  I am still confused by this.

• Baller

I would think you could just float a magnet somewhere in the lake by itself to calibrate your times, no course required.  The magnet's ONLYfunction is to tell SG WHERE to start timing.  Ideally you place the magnet below an end gate buoy (which is where the course starts) but it's not really necessary for the sake of calibrating your boat speed with the RPM's.  You only need a starting point, after that you're timing 259 meters and that's all.

SG times how long it takes to go 259 meters.  Period.  You need to adjust your RPM so that the elapsed time required to cover the 259 meters is on the mark time-wise, but that doesn't require a slalom course to do.  Multi magnet mode I would assume is for using PP Classic - multiple magnets have no use with SG because it only uses one magnet to tell it where to start timing.  Once it starts timing it doesn't need or use magnets for anything else. 

I don't know why you couldn't use SG on a course with multiple magnets, all SG requires is the magnet at the entry gate to tell it to start timing, it ignores any other magnets that may be present.  If you have a multi magnet setup on your course you have the option of using SG or PP Classic, whichever you want.  With only a magnet at each end gate you'd only have the option of SG (or hand timing I suppose).  I don't see why the number of magnets on any particular course would make any difference.

Ed

• Baller

Talked to PP this morning and they are sending me the upgrade module.  They seem to think that my problems stem from having the first version of software and the type of boat.  Just FYI - my boat - 2003 Malibu Response LX w/335 Monsoon.  We shall see if this fix works.

I did probe a little deeper and it seems as though they have added a couple more tuning adjustments.  Now they are going to have a settings for "light" or "normal" skiers. 

Light = kids, and/or light (not so aggressive) pull

Heavy = heavier adults and/or heavier pull

This is in addition to the KX settings.  There is also some type of tunability for entrance, 3-ball, and exit gates.  Not sure exactly what this will be; but, it was explained as a way to set the pull at those points in the course.

Are we getting too smart???

• Baller

FYI.....Email from PP below 

We are ready to start shipping StarGazer Upgrades.  Please note that we require the replaced Master Module to be returned to PerfectPass within 21 days or full charges will apply. Given we are low on StarGazer inventory, we would appreciate your assistance in getting this in the mail as soon as possible.  A Return Authorization (R/A) form will be sent with your new module which will need to be returned by you with your old Module. Can you please reply and confirm the following for me: 1.  Boat Details:  Year, Make, Model & Engine 2.  Complete Shipping Address and phone number3.  Credit Card Details – forward via email, phone or fax (whichever you are most comfortable with)4.  If on Promo Team We thank you for your assistance and as soon as we get confirmation of all of your details we will proceed with shipping your replacement module to you. Carol Carol JoycePerfectPass Control Systems Inc.14 Trider CrescentDartmouth, NS   B3B 1R6Phone:  (902) 468-2150Fax:  (902) 468-8837

• Baller

skibug,

You posted "they have added a couple more tuning adjustments.  Now they are going to have a settings for "light" or "normal" skiers. 

Light = kids, and/or light (not so aggressive) pull

Heavy = heavier adults and/or heavier pull"

I thought one of the StarGazer benefits was the elimanation of settings?   This sounds like what we now call "Skier Weight", just less precise

• Baller

I am just relaying what I was told by PP.  I agree that if you keep adding more and more "tunability".....what's the point?  Other then a way to make more money on new technology...which is the American way.  I can't hold that against anyone.  In our business we call this technology challenge the "bleeding edge" (indtead of the "leading edge") of technology.  Those that are the first, tend to bleed the worst.

• Baller
OK, I am looking for some feedback.  I got my updated SG and calibrated it.  I did some timing runs (without a skier); they all came in 16.95 or 16.96.  The troubling part is/was that everytime I got to 3 ball gates; the boat throttled back very noticably to the point where I felt it and heard it.  This can't be good when you have a skier in tow.  Right now my only presumption can be that when you are pulling a skier, this will be less drastic due to the load and slowing of the boat for the first half of the course which should even out the consistancy of the pull.  Does this make sense?  The other troubling thing is that the splits all came out as "OK" when in fact the boat throttled back considerably for that second half.  Logically, I would have thougth that you would see hot 1, 2, & 3 or slow 4, 5, & 6.  Any comments??  

• Baller
my guess is it will still have some SSB (second segment balance) type parameter as it still controls RPM and not speed as ZO does. with no skier it will need to take out more rpm past 3 ball. thats my guess, tell us what you find out...

• Baller
I have last year's version of Stargazer. I have a mechanical version on a 1994 Ski Nautique with a carbureted 351 Ford (240 HP). I have not had any major issues. I used 3 magnets to calibrate the baselines, and I switched it to single magnet mode for skiing. The first couple of times I used it, I would get a good ball 3 time, and it would accelerate after that. It only happened when I was pulling a skier who was close to 200 lbs or more at 30-32 MPH. The way I was able to correct it was make sure the correct crew weight is entered, give a longer runway coming into the course to allow it to lock in, and when throttling up to speed keep an eye on the tach to lock in as close to your baseline RPM so the system does not have to search for it. If I am pulling a bigger skier I punch it for the first two seconds and then back off as close as I can to the baseline rpm. I used to set Kx to ++ for pulling by brother who is almost 250 lbs. If you overshoot the baseline for the speed you set it will have to search for it to lock in. It will speed up and slow down until it locks in which happened the first couple of times I used it. I get more accurate times in the GPS single magnet mode. Most of the time it is off actual by only + or - .03 seconds at most pulling someone who is over 200 lbs at 30-32 MPH the times are off by a little more, but always within the quarter MPH tolerance. Hope this helps. I have not tried pulling anyone in classic mode.