Similarities of snowskiing and waterskiing technique

slow

• Baller

While the balance issues are similar, snow skiing (especially racing) is very different from waterskiing. Snow ski racing requires preservation of all the energy gravity gives you to maximize speed. Getting through the course is rarely the issue - unless you cut corners too tight in a quest for winning speed. In waterskiing, there's 100 unused HP in the boat to add as much energy as you can balance against. Speed is gps controlled. Making it through the course is always a problem - every run ends with a fall or miss.

Carving? Not on waterskis! Hook that radical turn and get to the next buoy. Adjust the wing on your fin to get the right amount of tailslide, slam dunk, set the edge and hold it through the pull position. Carving is for the prime rib dinner after waterskiing.

I will concede that the balance issues are similar. Body balance, knee reaction and ankle flex work in the same manner. But the positions are quite different - your feet are locked in the wrong position for your offside turn. And gravity pulls differently than a rope - and water has a lot more drag than snow. Your body needs different positions to resist those forces.

Still that was a very cool video. And thinking about the similarities and differences is good training - especially when the water is too cold for practice. Thanks, cool link.

Eric

• Baller
Agreed.  I seem to be working on the same things when I'm snow skiing as waterskiing. Countering hips, ankle flexion, level eyes.  Also when I'm waterskiing well, the forces feel the same to me. The load going down through my core to my legs, rather than my arms and back, like a hard banked GS turn.