Skis you should have kept

mike55

• Baller

22 off at 34 is my PB when I went down to Sunset Ranch last spring. Used a borrowed  ski there that I thought was too big and stiff for me. What do I know? Not much, except that I have spent a bunch of money trying different skis and selling the ones that I feel aren't me or compliment whatever 'style' skier I am. I'm used to being neutral to forward primarily because of a very extensive number of years and days on the slopes. I know I don't like 07 or before Monza's. The edge change seems erratic. The 07 MPD was scittish on the pull out and probably just too darned advanced for me. Have liked and disliked some Goodes. Should never have gotten rid of a 9400. Tried a yellow Fish and it was fast got me wide had a short balance point (66) and dropped into the turn a little hard on the first couple passes I tried. A 66 Nomad got me just as wide turned good and rode a little higher in the water like the Goode. I liked that.  A 1.1 soft version of the Sixam was fast through the turn got me there early and was stable. Got so wide on a Obrien 2 point that I was ignorant to believe I needed something more 'high end' because obviously the ski was just a little inferior to my rapidly improving ability. What a joke. Another ski I should of kept. So now in 2008 do I stay with this awesome sport and not give up on it in June or July after getting frustrated like I did on a Connelly F1 67 during a time my skiing started to go backwards? More will be revealed. Going with and staying with one ski for an entire summer should be hard on this rookie's addiction to different gear. An SS hopefully will fill the void and leave less of a void in my wallet should I finally stay with one ski an entire season. Shoot maybe my skiing will get consistant at 22/34 and I'll improve beyond that by adapting to what I'm so blessed to have.

• Baller

Spend some of that money on coaching time with a pro who can relate to you what you need to be doing to correct whatever problems you're having.  If you could get one ski you kind of like really dialed in and get some coaching on what you're doing wrong, you may be surprised to find that the issue is not the ski but is you.  The money you spent on any one of those skis would pay for 3 days in Florida with a good coach.  I mean airline tickets, motel rooms, everything included.  The price of just ONE ski.

Several of the skis you mensioned should have worked for you.  My guess is that you never really got one dialed in properly for you.  Going to a ski school and just having someone who knows what they're doing set up the ski correctly for you is worth the price of the lessons just to get that.  A good ski won't make a bad skier good (not that you're a bad skier, you like all of us likely could use some quality coaching) but it WILL make a good skier (good form, body position etc) better.  I waited WAY too long to go to Florida for coaching.  Don't make the same mistake I made.

Ed

• Baller

Thanks Brent and Ed. Lots of time on water and coaching in Florida are definately on the to do list. But are there any skis that you ever wished you would have kept? Sorry for getting more than a bit long winded  with my diatribe. Thought this might be a fun or interesting topic. Didn't really intend for it to be about just me. Grateful for the replies, again thanks.

• Baller

I think it's a non question.  I'm on the best ski I've ever owned now, the MPD.  Before that I was on the best ski I'd ever owned to that point, an '05 Monza.  Before that a CR7.  I think the technology improves and the skis keep getting better; all have been better skis than I am skier.

Haven't been to too many but I really clicked with Matt Rini last year and would highly recommend him.  Plus he's a bit more reasonable in his rates but his place is a bit harder to get to.  If his rates were higher I'd still go because he is so good at connecting with you at your level, no matter how high or low that level is.  We're going back for a week first week of June and I'm just counting the days now.

Ed

• Baller

My first real ski was Connelly HP. It took me from long line to 22 off in a summer. The next summer I bought the new disco coloured HP. It was ok, but I never skied as well as on the old black one. From a performance point of it is of course Stone Age but from a sentimental point of view I wish I never had sold it.  

Tsixam

• Baller

started 7 years ago 75' line 26 mph on a 66" redline classic KD then upgraded to KD 7000 and progressed  all the way to 15' off 36mph, then I got an HO CDX and went deep into 22 off 36, then I turned 35 and went down to 34 mph, on the CDX I would get 1-3 at 32 off, then I got an X5 65.5 got the same scores. Then I got a 2006 white top Nomad, I spent a considerable amount of time finicking with this ski and practicing patience at the buoy, this got me through 32 off and 1 or 2 at 35 off, my best scores to date. I am going to start this season with A 66" 2007 MPD, but more importantly, I am looking to run 35 off 34 mph, at the end of last season I made great progress with my gate, I am going to perfect this as soon as I can, also want to get a better edge change (allowing the ski to cross underneath and cast out to the buoy line)

sold the CDX and the X5, the 7000 is in the backyard getting snowed on, and in my room I have a 66" 2007 F1 brand new, the MPD and the white Nomad, Im keeping those. 

Hi skiers,

I Agree that to get better you have to ski.I also agree that coathing is very important too,some bad habits can be corrected easier in the begin.

But what realy made me interested in writing about this subject ,is the ski I did the most progress in the sport.

25 years ago my father´s partner gave me one Western Wood funel tunel (orange ,yellow and white),that he bought when he was training at Mike Suyderhoud a few years earlier.The fin was not perforated and had no wing .

But it was soft and for my size and I start completing the course at 36mph 15 off.

From that day till now I have ski adiction.....

Anyone remember that ski ?