Question for the test skiers

slalomdude

• Baller

Last year I got to test skis. My favorite ski was the Goode and it did convince me to plunk down the grand for that ski (for Kirk to use).

I've always been swayed by a good demo set in my ski purchase decisions. The ski tests are really a demo orgy!

It looks like the tests were another great success this year. Congratulations John and all the skiers.

Eric

• Baller

Demo orgy is a good way to put it Eric.  Well worth the cost of an airline ticket (and hotel rooms and car rental and...).

I rode the Fischer and really liked it a lot, would really like to spend a couple of weeks with one.  I'm very happy with my MPD for the time and in no hurry to change skis at all, but perhaps when I get ready for my next ski in another couple of seasons I'll give one a really hard look before making a decision.  The question for me was "would it be worth the extra $300 - 400?"  For me it was a resounding yes.  IF I decide that will be my next ski the extra $$$ is not an issue.  When the time comes it will definitely be on my short list.

Ed

• Baller

Ed- Do you know if there were any changes from last years Fischer to the years?  I asssume not, since it is still called the # 1.  I have been on a yellow since last summer, and agree with everything written about it in the test except the part about a smaller sweet spot and less forgiveness.  I came off the X5, a very forgiving ski, and had no problems adjusting to the Fish.  It felt very predictable and stable to me, (unlike the 9700 I demo'd, which put me on my face a few times).  After a few fin tweaks, I was matching my PB on a regular basis.  One thing is for sure, it is a really fun ski to ride.  It feels like driving a turbo Carrera.

Marco

• Baller

That was pretty much my assessment of it too Marco.  Stable and confidence inspiring, and reasonably predictable feeling.  I didn't have it tweaked out to perfection though so I'm sure what I felt could have been even better given some time and additional tweaking.  Wish I knew someone locally with one I could spend some time on.

Hey DW, have you ordered one yet?

Ed

• Baller

Ed- If you do get a chance to ride one again, try going substantially deeper than factory with the fin.  When I first got on it, it was so quick that I was constantly overturning and stalling out.  With the deeper fin, it doesn't seem to bite at the end of the turn, and it stays really fast back to the wakes.  I posted my settings on the Fischer thread on this site last summer if you want to check them out.  They are for a 68" Yellow, and I am 5'-10" 190 getting into 38 @ 55K.

Marco

• Baller_
I really liked the Fish.  I was on a Yellow.  Did take some tuning to dial it in, but was a fairly painless.  I also thought the D3's were outstanding.  IMO the Fish had more left in it, I was pushing it too hard out of the box.