Rear toe plate or boot

slalomdude

Just wondering what % of you guys use a rear kicker or a full boot. What are your reasons, and pro vs cons of both. Does a rear boot make the skier favour their back foot? . I use a rear kicker and was thinking of making the switch. I guess, I like most Brits, grew up with kickers and have stuck to them ever since.

John,

Maybe you could set up a pole on this.

Thanks

• Baller

I also started with a RTP but after have ruined my left knee (I am LFF) in a jump crash I switched to doubles.  I remember that it took about a week to get used to it. I can only see advantages with doubles, more control, the back foot always in the same position, I have seen many skiers hit the wakes with the back foot out of the RTP, and I also believe it is safer with both feet in.  The only drawback is that it is a little bit harder to show off, by performing jump starts from the roof of the boat house.

Tsixam

• Baller
I am a RTP guy.  I grew up on a RTP and the few times I have tried a rear boot I just couldn't get comfortable.  I have a Wileys rear boot sitting in my basement collecting dust that has only been on the ski a couple of times.  I have been skiing the course for 30+ years and haven't been hurt yet (now I will probably wreck myself this summer) but my front binding (Wileys) is something I will release from in an OTF.

• Baller_

I prefer the double boot, rubber in this case.  IMO, I like the positive feel of being more locked in with double rubber boots.  What has surprised me is that I don't like a double hardshell, or at least what I have tried to date.  There must be some inherent advantage to ankle flexibility needed in water skiing not needed in snow skiing.

I really think that water skiing is not at the level of snow skiing therefore one still sees more variety in the way the feet are attached to the ski.  I think if the proper ultimate boot design happens, there will be a mass shift to that system.  One major weakness is the method of separating the skier from the ski in an accident.  Snow skiing has pretty much perfected the release mechanism, water skiing appears not to have mastered that yet.

• Baller

I struggled with performance on the double boots but kept getting injuries with the RTP (flailing foot kicking something - hard). So I switched and got used to a rear boot. For a while I was using a very flexible hardshell with a rubber boot front and I loved that setup. I switched to double hardshells and struggled to get used to that. Making the hardshells as flexible as possible helped my performance. My rear shell now has no clip on the cuff - just a rubber band so it is quite flexible.

My release is to let the boots tear off the ski. My legs are (mostly) stronger than the equipment. A weird fall last year sprained my rear ankle prompting the switch from a loose clip to a rubber band on the rear foot. I use a similar setup on my trick ski and have lots of hard falls, damaged bindings and skis with only a few scrapes and no serious injuries.

Eric

• Baller

Since you are a Britt I was wondering if you do any skiing at Bennett's?

Just asking since there is a Coach there Named John who is also a Britt.

RTP lets you stretch and relax normal position between pulls.

The  release systems on the newer stuff seems alot safer but are way out there on price.