67 Monza settings

als2104

• Baller
Hi all.  New to the forum.  Love all the great discussion.  I just moved to a 2007  67 Monza from 2001 68 CDX.  I'm a 36 mph skier, skiing into 38 off.  I started with my bindings center hole and 2.514, .71, 6.915 tips, wing 9, pretty sock.  The first few sets the ski was biting real hard on my toeside 1,3,5 and I was breaking at the waist, didnt feel too stable.  I had always run my bindings one hole back on my CDX so I tried that to get me off the tip.  Well that cured breaking at the waste, but now the ski is hesitating on both sides.  At 35 off, The line goes slack at 1 and the ski tip comes up.  Any advice on binding placement and fin adjustment?  Thanks

I am not sure what bindings you have, but move your binding to 29.25 from the back of the ski to the very back of your front rubber. With an approach, that is 1 hole back from the front hole.

I run mine at 6.831 Length Flat with a Goode Caliper. 2.512 depth. and .700 DFT. DFT is critical with the Monza. Start by moving back from .710 and take a few passes. You can go all the way back to .680 with success. When ever I have tip rise problems, I move the fin back. I was at .690 for awhile, but just moved back to .700. It is a hard measurement to get. I do it about 10 times and see what the average is. If you were running 9 on the wing with the CDX, stay with 9.

Let me know what happens.    

I forgot,

1. The Monza Rocks.

2. JTH talks about waterskiing in his sleep. I think he is more addicted to this sport then I am. He was yelling somthing about actual times for perfect pass at 3am when he was sleeping.   

• Baller
MS, Thanks for the help.  I  have double animals.  Center hole is at 29.25 and one hole back is 28.75.  When I started at center holes the ski tip was biting, I was blowing out the tail and breaking at the waste, not pretty.  If I go back to center holes and move the fin back to .700, will that help alleviate those problems?  I thought moving the fin back will give me more tip, not what I want with bindings at center holes ??  Thanks again.

Figure out the sweet spot for your bindings and go with it. 29.25 is just the reccommended. Trust me on the DFT. Just set up the length and depth to those numbers, and then play with forward aft. Just get in the water an run a pass or 2 to see how it feels. If not good, get out and adjust until you find it. Most people find that .680-.705 is the sweet spot.

• Baller

MS, hopefully you can provide some wisdom...

I moved my bindings (Animals) back one hole, 28.75, and moved the fin back from .715, to about 6.85. I'm having a tough time getting a good DFT measurement with the caliper head.  It fluctuates between .68 and .71, b/c the concave on the tail makes it tough to get the caliper flush.  Do you use the caliper head or stem to get the DFT? 

With these settings I'm not breaking as I was with bindings middle hole, but the ski is hesitating out of the turn, ski tip comes up at 35.  I'm running length 6.94 with tips, dont want to add more tip.  Since theres room, will it help if I move just the back binding forward?  Thanks for the help

Sorry als2104,

I havnt checked in for a few days as I was gone.

anyway, go to the GOODE web page and look at how they measure the DFT. That is how I (and most others) do it. You have to make sure that the caliper is flat on the ski bottom. Put a white towel on the floor or somthing bright so that if you are looking at the ski with the caliper flat on it, you will be able to see if there is space between the ski and caliper. Just be steady and try to get it as flush as you can. I try to repete it a few times and look at the results over 5-8 trys. You will get a good feel for where your at that way.

Space between boots is a personal pref. I like a 1.5 inch spread. Most like the back binding closer then that. they like to have toes touching or very close to the front boot.

What type of caliper are you using? I use a Goode and I dont use tips. But I think that 6.94 is close to 6.830 so you are right in range with your length. Whenever I get tip rise after hookup, I move my fin back and it helps me. But that may not be the cure for most people. Just try moving backa nd if it is not working, go the other way. I have always had success in setting peoples Monzas up by sticking with the 6.830, 2.212 and then playing with forward aft on the DFT.

Good Luck     

• Baller

MS, Its been a coupla weeks, but after moving both my bindings  back one hole and going with your numbers, the ski is feeling great.  I'm running 6.94 tips which on my caliper is 6.83 jaws, 2.510, and .685 dft.  I think moving the fin back was the clincher, just as you suggested.  3 @-38 at 36 OTD.  Thanks for the help.

On another note, my ski buddy is running a 2002 CDX 66" and is having some trouble once he hits 32 off.  Do you, or anyone, have numbers that may work for that ski?  Do you think the Monza numbers might work?

Thanks for the help