Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Nationals in Bako

Horton

• Administrators

Hey BallOfSpray guys if you are coming to Bako maybe we can meet for a beer. Who all is coming? I know a place near the site that makes a killer taco and a margarita that will make you beg for your mamma.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

John:  Most of our group here will be skipping Nationals (except Skippy and Morton).  By the looks of entries received, we're not in the minority.  As of today, 612 slalom skiers have registered.   The first Nationals in Bako had 755 slalom skiers.  That's a significant drop in 8 years.  The scary part is the M1 and M2 skiers.  In 1999, there were 31 M1 and 81 M2 skiers.  This year, there are 23 M1 and 19 M2.  This does not bode well for the future ( M3, M4).  I don't have an answer but I believe the CFT format will result in more M1/M2 qualifying for Regionals and Nationals.  I certainly hope so.  The M3/M4 group is where most of the officials come from to run the events.

The one bright spot is juniors.  In 1999, there were 159 junior slalom entries.  This year there is 214. 

Another note:  In 1999, there were 150 M3 slalom.  This year; 64.   

• Baller

Further analysis:

Divisions w/ increase over 1999:

B1 / B2 / B3 / G1 / G2 / M4 / W4 / W5

Divisions w/ decrease vs 1999:

M1 / M2 / M3 / M5 / M6 / G3 / W1 / W2 / W3 / W6

By percentages:

M1 down 25.8%

M2 down 76.5%

M3 down 57.3%

G3 down 22.2%

W1 down 25.9%

W2 down 61.9%

W3 down 59.2%

My reasons are Regionals were in KS and nats in baker. Thats 2 big trips in 2 weeks, and I fly for free. I hate that traffic jam from LAX to baker and I almost pulled my gun out a few times last summer while making the drive. I loved the site, the lakes and everything else about baker. It is probably the best place I have been to for viewing and having a good time. The hotels were much cheaper then past national sites. If I could have skipped regionals I may have went to nats, but that rule must change. M3 on sunday in KS had 20 mph winds right down the lake. To pay the money required to enter, hotels, fly and car for 1 set, no way.

Nationals is a differant story. I understand the 1 shot in the water and out for that tourney.Why do you have to go to regionals if you need to qualify for nats anyway?

Make sure you get to Lengthwise Brew company for a very good Ale and Fish Tacos.       

• Baller

Too bad John, I'll be there. You and Bob Johnson owe me a beer.

Joe, the skills of the skiers in the declining divisions has declined more than the numbers of participants. Something is structurally wrong when the M4 EP in tricks (the only event where there is no difference across age/gender brackets) is the highest of all the age/gender brackets. Something other than Bakersfield caused that drop. However it is not time to panic as the junior divisions are as strong as they ever have been so in a few years things will be back to normal.

A small Nationals sucks. You get to see fewer of your distant friends and your division shrinks to where the placement means less. Don't rationalize your absence, just show up. Or miss out on some good tacos and beer...

Eric

• Administrators

I am not sure that all the numbers are posted. Last I heard we were expecting 750.

The drop in skiers is a bummer all the way around. SkiWest needs turn out to make the event pay. You know that this is not for free. For you guys that are going to be here please support the site and practice on site. I know some other lakes will let skiers slip in but that just hurts the SkiWest people. If Nationals is a money loser then we will have even less sites trying to do it. At the monment only SkiWest and West Palm seem to be on deck. If SkiWest does not make money this year and next I think it will not be an option in years to come.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

John - I'm all about supporting the LOC when it comes to practice but the LOC must create order when it comes to the logistics.  Last year's practice was disorganized to say the least.  This forced many of us to other sites.  If they want my $20, they need to obtain some organizational skills and run it like the business that it is.  If they do, they won't have to worry about losing practice rides to another site.

jhd

• Administrators

Back to the point of this thread . . . .

If you are a reader here at BallOfSpray and going to be at Nationals please look me up. I will be around after lunch most days and I guess I will be there Saterday :-)

Drop a dime in the can