Is the Goode 9700 too much ski for me?

mnskier

I am 19 years old and have been skiing the course for 3 months now. I started skiing it at 28 mph @ 15' off, now I warm up with 32 mph @15 off, and I can get 34 mph @ 15' off most of the time. I have been using my dad's old ski, it is a very old kidder redline. I have been looking for a new ski, and recently came across a good deal on a goode 9700, I have heard that these skis are very fast and can be unstable. Is the wrong ski for me? Thanks!

-Dan

If those were my two choices I would try to get a D3. Specifically I would go with the X5,  I just have not met enough skiers that liked the original Nomad enough to spend my money on it. One reason I would stay away from the Goode is that you don't really know the state of its flex pattern. You might get a noodle and for all intents and purposes you wont even have a Goode, let alone a 9700.

If you can find one to try, get a set or two on a Connelly F1. That ski gets no respect. For one, it is the cheapest top-end ski on the market. For two, those who ski it tend to ski it well and swear by it. It also doesn't hurt that it is now the record holding ski.

• Baller

i've got my 2006 9736 67" 200amp for sale and can tell you it "isn't a noodle" and skis great, just too long for me now having dropped 30lbs of pregnancy fat!!!love the ski but just having a tough time with it's length...now at 170lbs the recommended length is a 65.5" with Goode's measurements...

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA04715

• Baller

I have skied the 2007 Connelly F1, D3 X5, and the Nomad RC.  You can't go wrong with either of the D3 skis.  I like the F1; but, I liked the D3's better. The F1 is very stiff and less forgiving if it is not set up correctly.

There is a thread under this category titled "D3 Nomad RC" which gives some insight on that ski.   

• Baller

dj -

Your question is common one for us who are new to the course and are taking skiing seriously. 

Your best bet is to try and demo for a few sets the ski before you buy then decide for yourself. 

There are a plenty of good skis out there and each have their own nuances - such the reason for the ski tests.

Your choice of ski will depend, in part, on what you are looking for the ski to do.  Do you want speed?  Do you want stability through the turns?  Do you want predicability?  The Goode may or may not be a good choice for you depending on how you answer.

I would try not to be seduced by a low price on a high end ski...there are some skis that I wouldn't purchase even at 1/2 the retail price b/c it's not what I'm looking for  in a ski.

You seemed to have figured out early that good form can take you farther faster than new equipment...some of us never figure that out. 

So I would encourage you to really take your time on your ski purchase...demo, demo, demo...before you know it, you will be shortening the rope and your good form with the right ski will really help you advance.

Anthony

• Baller

As much as I love my F1 I wouldn't recommend it for starting out.   It really likes to be on edge and most longline skiers don't get the ski on edge enough to capitalize on how well that thing turns.   It really likes a shorter line and an aggressive skier.  

If the D3 custom is the right length that would be my first choice.  

• Baller

You can go to their website and see the details.  I would only recommend it if you are definitely going to buy a ski in the near future.  The way it works is that you pretty much commit to buying a ski from them buy putting down $400; and, you can try as many skis as they have.  They ship them to you one at a time and you can ride them for a couple of weeks until you find the one you like.  If you don't find one that you like, they will charge you about $40 per ski that you had tried plus shipping.

• Baller

DJWILD - drop Tadd or Jason an email at H2Osmosis, they are extremely knowledgeable of their products...they'll ship your ski to you immediately to demo, check out their site for more details http://www.h2osmosis.com/waterski_gear.php3

"Ride Before You Buy Program"
Difficult to decidewhat ski you want? Take advantage of our "Ride Before you Buy Program"and try any model ski from any manufacturer without the high risk ofbuying a ski without knowing how well it will work for you. Here’s theskinny on how it works:

http://www.h2osmosis.com/puce.gif  Putdown a deposit for the ski that says, "I will commit to buy my ski fromH2Osmosis Sports." (We hold $400 while you test our skis and then applythe deposit toward the price of the ski you ultimately choose).
http://www.h2osmosis.com/puce.gif  Decidewhich ski you want to try and let us know. (If you need some plates tomake your boots work with the new ski, we can help you out with that aswell).
http://www.h2osmosis.com/puce.gif  Wewill ship you the ski of choice and help you with the ski setup and allyou will pay is a $40 demo charge and the shipping for the ski. Youkeep the ski for two weeks and return it in new condition.
http://www.h2osmosis.com/puce.gif  Onceyou decide which ski you want, we will apply the $400 deposit and thedemo charge for THAT PARTICULAR SKI to the price of the ski . You thenpay the balance and start ripping it on your new ride.

Call the shop (843.559.2520) or e-mail info@h2osmosis.com and put "Ride Before You Buy" in the subject line.